Monday, April 30

Good Eating Monday: Herbed Noodles

 
So, since it's Good Eating Monday the topic is "What's a good side dish to serve with fish?"
 
I get tired of just rice or potatoes and fish are so---you know, bland---except salmon, which has it's own unique flavor. I love salmon, but it's not the fish of the day, every day.
My next favorite fish is frozen Parmesan-herbed crusted tilapia. For myself, for lunch, I love heating it up, putting it on a whole grain wrap with some Swiss, lettuce and salsa. But to serve my husband for dinner, that tilapia needs something a little more substantial to go with it.
So, I looked up on the web "side dish recipes for fish" and hit upon "herbed noodles."
That sounded perfect. I had a half-used box of wheat macaroni that needed using plus I'm always looking for ways to use the herbs I grow. Increasing the herbs in your food not only increases flavor, herbs & spices have numerous health benefits.

Anyway, here's the basic recipe for Herbed Noodles and since I'm interested in "healthy "good eating, we'll be using light butter & wheat pasta:
You'll need:
Pre-cook 8 oz ofwhole grain or wheat pasta or colored veggie pasta in water with salt added
 (that's about 1/2 a box)
Add to frying pan:
3 Tbsp light butter
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 Tbsp fresh, chopped onion chives (or 1 teaspoon dried) or substitute 3 or 4 scallion onions
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
Optional: 1 tsp minced garlic.
Salt to taste
Heat & saute until butter is melted and herbs well combined with butter, then add cooked pasta and toss together until well-coated.

Substitutions tips and other things you can do with this basic recipe:
Substitute any herb combination: I substituted oregano for the basil, because I have tons growing outside and my basil isn't ready yet. Or you could substitute dried Italian seasoning, which is both oregano & basil or thyme or savory or marjoram or Mrs. Dash, etc.
[The rule of thumb substituting dried for fresh is you only need half as much of dried, so for every
Tablespoon of fresh called for in a recipe, substitute just 1 teaspoon of dried.]
Add cheese: shake on some parmesean.
Add meat: You can add kielbasa or chicken or sausage or hot dogs, etc to this recipe to make it a whole meal: just saute the meat to get it hot and stir it into your herbed pasta.
Add frozen veggies: Just add 1 cup of your favorite frozen veggie to the frying pan before you add the butter and herbs. Warm your veggie up, then add your butter, herbs and finally the cooked pasta for a complete good-for-you side dish for whatever you're having!

I have garlic chives growing outside and I substituted those for onion chives and didn't use any other garlic in the herbed noodles and they gave my husband the worst garlic breath---so no more garlic chives in the herbed noodles!  LOL.

Tip to clear up garlic breath: chew a piece of fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!