Monday, September 17

Good Eating Monday: Spicy Chicken In Peanut Sauce

                                                                                          
Today I have a new Pillsbury slow-cooker recipe:

Spicy Chicken In Peanut Sauce! 

The ingredients I used and list here are based on the improvement suggestion by reviewers at Pillsbury.com, who suggested adding tomatoes with jalapenos added to give it balance against the sweet peanut butter. They were right.

Spicy Chicken In Peanut Sauce
Ingredients:
8 to 10 boneless chicken thighs
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1 Large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with jalapenos, undrained
2 cans (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
2 Tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
(If you can't find diced tomatoes with green chilies or jalapenos already added, you can buy them separately.)
                     
        
Directions:
In a, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil briefly on both sides. Remove. Now saute onion & garlic.
Spray
 4- to-5-quart slow cooker with oil spray. 

In a bowl mix sauteed onion & garlic, diced and crushed tomatoes, honey, cumin & cinnamon. Spoon a layer of sauce into bottom of slow cooker. Layer in half of chicken thighs, half of frozen vegetables, cover with half of sauce, then add  remaining thighs, vegetables and rest of sauce.

 
Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 hours. At last 30 minutes, stir in peanut butter until melted and well blended. Serve chicken over either couscous or rice with side dishes of almonds & coconut for garnish. 

      Serve over either hot cooked couscous or rice--your preference. 

  Optional: Serve with small side dishes of sliced almonds and shredded sweet coconut for garnish. (1/2 cup of each) Our dinner guests loved being able to choose their garnish. My friend, Megan, like the coconut best, as it added a bit more sweetness.          
                                                                    *******
I actually heated all my tomatoes, sugar, spices & peanut butter in the skillet in order to melt the peanut butter and sample the hot sauce to make sure how it would taste. The 1 can of jalapeno tomatoes gave it the warmth of chili. Then I layered this heated sauce into the thighs and veggies. You could also mix everything except the peanut butter into the slow-cooker, then wiggle the thighs into it. I was also doing a doubled recipe with 20 boneless thighs, so I found the layering better.  

      For Dessert:
 I baked up some Cookie Apple Cobbler, also to found at Pillsbury.com. The crust is sugar cookie dough. The base Commissary didn't sell any of the Pillsbury rounds of dough, but only the the trays of ready-to-bake sugar cookies, but I found one tray of 24 sugar cookies the perfect amount plus easy & fun to place!
My friend, Megan, who is on staff with us as a Navigator, is 28 and loves fun things like that. She comes an hour early to help me prepare the meal for the Sunday Bible Study crowd and helped me slice apples. I gave her the fun of placing the cookies on top!
I had a can of Reddi-Wip to go with. 
I didn't have a bit of cobbler left over!

1 comment:

Hilda said...

Oh my gosh, that looks sooo good! Mmm, I'm hungry! :P

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!