Wednesday, March 20

Garden Pic Wedensday: Red Amaryllis


It's a gray day with a slight bit of rain.
But today's pictures remind of sunnier days!
Below I have a gorgeous picture I took yesterday of my red Amaryllis and Dutch Iris!


They're in a large pot that I've tried to make a "all-season" blooming pot--and this year it's working fairly well, since they've bloomed at the same time.
I have 2 such pots, one on either side of the parking slot in front of the pampas grass.
Each holds an assortment of bulbs: daffodil, dutch iris, amaryllis and spider lilly that bloom in seasonal succession.
The spider lilly is a fall bloom though,. the others are spring.
For summer color I usually add an annual like petunias or saliva to the pots.


Next picture is a small table vase of garden flowers I had on the table this past Sunday: yellow Black-Eyed Susan's, pink Azaleas and the blue flowers are Scabiosa.

 

Since it was St. Patricks, I threw in a couple bits of Shamrock greenery, but Shamrocks don't like being in a vase.
Azaleas do okay in a vase--though the blooms are short-lived. I try to select branches with both bloom & buds if I can for the best performance. They make a good short term arrangement.
Scabiosa likes a vase, Black-Eyed Susan's love being in a vase and last 2 to 3 weeks..
 Dusty Miller, of course, loves a vase and often roots in water.


Scabiosa, also known as "Pincushion Flower," comes in shades of white, pink and light blue.
I have the blue one as part of my collection of "blue flowers,"
since natural blue flowers are far less common then other colors. Scaboisa is an excellent perennial bed flower.
I also have blue sea holly which is presently turning the prettiest true blue you ever saw, but I won't include a picture until they're fully turned.
And I have a perennial type of bachelor button that should bloom this season, which is also naturally cornflower blue.
And I have several blue hydrangeas, but I'm always on the look-out for a good blue flower to add to my collection.


There are many flowers people may wish were naturally occuring in blue, like roses, but having been a florist many years I can assure you there is no such thing a blue rose and all of them that get labelled as "blue" are actually a light lavender.
 Roses may sometimes be painted or even dyed to look blue, at least on the outside, which is an often smelly cheat, but they don't grow blue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!