Good Eating Monday: Tuscan Sausage & Grapes


Ever had cooked fresh grapes?
I never had, but I discovered they are absolutely delicious!

Which brings us to today's Good Eating recipe: Tuscan Sausage & Grapes.
I saw it on Food Network and had to try it. The recipe calls for roasting in an oven, but since it's summer and I'm generally don't bake, I tried a slow-cooker, though I think the sausage could be sliced and sauteed with the grapes more easily then going through the roasting process.
I had leftover brats and that's what I did with the brats: sliced & sauteed with fresh grapes, onions, etc, then served then
 served it over re-heated leftover German potatoes. Yummy!

Here's the original roasted recipe:


1 1/2 lbs hot sausage (any type you prefer)
1 1/2 lbs sweet sausage (any type)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter 
5-6 cups fresh grapes, any color or mixed colors2-4 Tbsp red wine
 (I substituted grape juice.)
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegarParboil the sausages in boiling water for 8 minutes to reduce fat.In a roasting pan, melt butter and add grapes. Stir to coat. Over med. heat, add wine or grape juice and cook until liquid reduces slightly.
Add drained sausages. Cook in 500 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, turning sausages once during cooking time. Should be nicely browned.
Remove pan from stove and place on burners over medium heat. Add balsamic vinegar to grapes & sausages, stirring in, scraping up any browned bits on bottom of pan. Let juices reduce until thick and syrupy.
With a slotted spoon, dip out sausages and grapes to serving dish and pour liquid over top.
Serve either with crusty bread or over smashed or mashed potatoes.
********

Now I only used sweet sausage for my experiment, since my hubby doesn't like hot and served it over a quick batch of garlic smashed red potatoes. I completely missed using balsamic vinegar and it was still yummy, so I think this recipe can handle jury-rigging or additions, such as onions, etc!

Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories