Thursday, November 21

Mama Kat Thursday: 8 Recommended Reads

 Today's prompt topic is:
"List 8 books you've read that you think everyone should read in their lifetime."
I would add "or listen to," since so much is available audio as well. 
I've read and recommend the following reads:

The Bible.
Nowadays, you can read it on paper or listen to it or read it on a smart phone--but here's the trick: don't read it front to back like a common mystery or college book.
 Consider it more like a collection of short stories where you can start anywhere.
The order of reading I recommend for a beginner is: first one of the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke or John), then Acts, then you can choose other New Testament selections.
If you like adventure, I recommend Judges, Esther or 1 Sam, 2 Sam & 1 Kings, which cover the life of King David.
Do choose a version in modern English.
 I recommend it, however, not just for one read, but for daily consumption since it's the road-map for life in this world from the Creator who made it.
 (Pictured item is an audio version available to download to the Cloud from Amazon.com.)


Dinner With A Stranger & A Day With A Stranger 
by David Gregory
A thought provoking and easy read!


Everything by L.M. Montgomery. 
She wrote more then Anna of Green Gables.
One of my favorites by her is called The Blue Castle.

Little Women
by Louisa May Alcott
A highly enjoyable classic.
(Though I don't think everything considered "a classic" is a great read, but Little Women is.)

The 3 Musketeers, Twenty Years After
& The Man In The Iron Mask
by Alexandre Dumas.
These 3 are the best of the 5 book Musketeer set.
The first is how they meet, the 2nd calls them together when they're all middle-aged and the last is the sum their final adventures.
Forget the movies. The books are better.


5 comments:

Jerralea said...

Loved your list! I put the bible first on my list, too.

I started to put Anne of Green Gables but didn't. I'm like you - I love anything by L. M. Montgomery.

Your other choices were interesting. I'll have to check them out.

Jen @ things momma loves said...

Anne of Green Gables definitely made it to my list also and yes I love Little Women - such a great book!

Lindsey said...

Great list! I love Anne of Green Gables! Visiting from Mama Kat's.

Donetta Sifford said...

I adored Little Women. It slipped my mind. I need to make a side note for both my girls when they get older to read it. When they are old enough to understand what they are reading. Great list.

Lois said...

Great list! Anne of Green Gables are such classics! I didn't include on my list but they were definitely contenders! :) You can check out my list if you like. :) http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2013/11/eight-must-read-books.html

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!