Garden Pic Wednesday: My Drainage Fix


I've often spoken about having drainage issues around my house that I'm working on here and there, but you may not be able to picture actually what I'm talking about. 

Below in one such example:
This is a picture of my Hosta bed on the northeast side of my house, adjacent to the garage after an ordinary, fairly heavy over-night thunder storm:



The water pooled largely because the ground on the outside of the bed is low and, during a down-pour, water also spills over from the corner rain gutter above. (It does disappear overnight generally!)
Because my property is lower then the property on either side of me, it often takes some imaginative engineering to over come such issues.

Next: The "After" photo:


I created a pea-gravel filled drainage channel bordered by brick pavers, then raised the soil level on the other side of the pavers.
It actually rained after I first finished putting this in and there was no pooling after a moderate rain. 
Technically, this bed is a "rain garden" as the Hostas that fill it help drink up the water.
I've placed a landscape block and pavers tentatively under the spill point from the rain drain, though I need to see if it's really the right place.
I'm wondering if one of those "rain chains" might help?

Last, a cheery photo of miniature daffodills from my back yard:


Come back Thurs for Mama Kat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party