Monday, April 14

Good Eating Monday: Home-made Guacamole

Greetings!  I'm late on posting today, because I spent most of the day outside, working in the yard & flower beds ahead of an expected overnight rain storm. I was putting down topsoil in water-pooling problem areas and planting purple Petunias & Red Salvia in several pots and the new back bed.
My Rain Lily bulbs arrived in the mail today, too. They're for the in-progress rain garden in back, but I'm waiting for the other item I ordered to arrive before planting those. What's neat about those is they bloom when it rains. Perfect for a rain garden where water pools!
******
We saw the new Captain America: The Winter Soldier movie this past weekend and enjoyed it. We've been watching Agents of SHIELD on television, which is following the same story line about Hydra infiltrating SHIELD, so seeing the movie made  the story more complete. There are some witty moments mixed in with the action, as usual.
Also, as in previous Marvel films, there are TWO scenes to stay for after film has ended: one early and one after the roll of credits. 
Robert Redford opens a refrigerator at one point in the film allowing the audience a brief glimpse inside---be sure and look for a Newman's Own product on the shelf! I missed it, but read in IMbD trivia that it's there in honor of Redford's old friend, Paul Newman.
Also, there's a scene at the Smithsonian Air & Space museum with a display of Captain America & his "Howling Commandos" from WW2 with a voice over explaining their history to visitors. That voice is Gary Sinise. (CSI: New York) It seemed familiar, but I didn't realize till I was reading the credits.
You'll see Cap talking to an elderly Peggy Carter: the aging effect o on her is all CGI, which the director felt would appear more genuine then using latex make-up.
*******
Today's Good Eating recipe is for a home-made Guacamole.
I'm not really a fan, but when I tried this recipe I liked it. The recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens.
The trick for me is the issue of ripeness, though I read that by putting the avocado into a paper bag, folding it closed and leaving it a couple days, it speeds up the ripening. (Be sure to check daily.)
There are two types: California, which is smaller with a textured darker skin and Florida, which is larger with a smooth green skin.
I guess which you use depends on preference and seasonal pricing.

To remove the seed: cut around the avocado in half lengthwise, lift off one half, then take a sharp knife, whack it into the large seed so the knife penetrates it a little, lift out seed and discard it.

Guacamole:
Seed and peel 1 ripe avocado. In a small bowl coarsely mash it with a fork, then stir in:
 1 medium tomato, seeded, drained & chopped fine
 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt.

Then cover surface with plastic wrap and chill up to 4 hours.
******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!