Monday, July 14

Good Eating Monday: Blueberry Muffin Cake

Today's Good Eating recipe is one I tried this weekend: Blueberry Muffin Cake!
I had some blueberries I'd collected from by bushes earlier that I wanted to use. Plus we were celebrating one of our Air Force guys who comes to our Bible study selection for promotion to E-5 and I wanted to have a special cake for him.
This recipe makes a moist, lightly lemony blueberry bundt cake.
I've included in italics changes I made to ingredients in the recipe, some of which are healthier options.
I say, if you're going to eat cake anyway, why not make it as healthy as possible?
Plus I've included a lemon glaze recipe, which I thought preferable to the original buttermilk glaze attached to the recipe (dairy would've meant having to refrigerate the cake!)
The plain lemon glaze doesn't require refrigeration and enhances the cake flavor delightfully!
The main trick to keep in mind with this cake is that you must let it cool off in the bundt pan COMPLETELY before even trying to flip it out onto a cooling rack--at least 30 minutes to 1 hour! 

Blueberry Muffin Cake

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened. (I melted mine, so I could skip the mixer.)
    2 cups sugar  (I reduced sugar to 1 1/2 cups using Sugar in the Raw instead of refined sugar)
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour (I used 2 cups of unbleached flour plus 3/4 cup oats)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cup buttermilk (Substitute: add 1 Tbsp of either lemon juice or vinegar to regular milk, stir, let sit 5 minutes.) 
  • Zest of 2 lemons  (I reduced to 1 lemon, which is about 1 Tbsp as lemon can be over-powering!)
  • 1 lb. fresh blueberries (You CAN use less--a pint would be enough. I used only 1 cp of blueberries. If you freeze your fresh berries, then fold them into the batter, they'll not turn everything blue so badly.)
Directions:
  •  Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with flour OR spray with a flour spray, like Baker's Joy. (I combined the fresh blueberries in a small bowl with the lemon zest and a little sugar and let them sit while I prepared the batter.) In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (You can use a mixer). Then beat in the eggs and vanilla. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a sifter, then slowly add to the wet ingredients alternating between additions of flour and milk, stiring after each addition until thoroughly combined. Mix in the lemon zest, then gently fold in all but last 1/2 cup or so of blueberries with a spoon. (Saving a 1/2 cup for top decoration is optional; you can stir all blueberries into the cake.)
  •  Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Sprinkle last 1/2 cup of berries on top of batter. Bake for 60-80 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to completely cool for 30-45 minutes before flipping onto a cooling rack. DO NOT try flipping the cake any earlier then 30 minutes or the cake will stick. (Even when completely cooled, I still needed to run a knife around outer and inner edged to facilitate it flipping out and then it flipped out neatly.)
Lemon Glaze:
       * 1/2 cup to 1 cup of confectioners sugar (depending on how much glaze you want)
        * juice from one slice of lemon, about 1/2 teaspoon.
        * additional teaspoons of cold water, stirring glaze with each added teaspoon of water until glaze reaches a slightly thickened, but this thin drizzling consistency.
 Directions:
When cake is fully cooled and on serving plate, drizzle lemon glaze over top with a knife or fork in a back and forth motion, striping top of cake, so glaze drips down inside and outside of bundt cake all around. (My glaze absorbed into the cake.)

******
By accident, I missed writing down the milk when jotting this recipe down on paper, so I made a milk-less version, though I did add some unsweetened applesauce for moisture.
 Even so, the cake came out delicious even without the milk, though it was a smaller, slightly denser size bundt. Still, it had a fine, moist texture. Next time, I want to try actually adding the milk! :)
******
So how did your last recipe you forgot an ingredient in come out?
*****
Eat up, me hearites, yo-ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!