Monday, September 15

Good Eating Monday: M&M Chocoate Oat Bars

My hubby had a bad night recently and spent it running repeatedly to the bathroom. Something he snacked on just before just didn't sit right. Finally, he took an anti-diarrhea pill and finally got to sleep.
The next night I said to him,
 "You know what an anti-diarrhea pill really is, right?
"What?" he asked.
"A cork," I replied.
He laughed and laughed.
(Well, I used to be a medic and, as a result, developed the dry, slightly twisted sense of humor that comes with the job.)

Anyway, today's Good Eating recipe is one I intend to try this week: M&M Chocolate Oat Bars.
The Hubby brought home 3 large bags of various M&M's that he got on sale at the BX that I now need to do something with and this recipe will be good for some the plain M&M's.
Plus this is a bar cookie, which I prefer so I don't have to mess    around dropping globs of dough on a cookie sheet. 
                                       

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 cup butter, melted 
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk 
1 bag milk chocolate chips (I used dark)                                             2 Tablespoons butter, softened
                                   1 cup M&M's
Directions:
* Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and 1 cup softened butter with a spoon. Remove 1 cup and set aside.
Press remaining mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.
* In a small pot, melt condensed milk, chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of butter over low-medium heat. Stir constantly until chips are melted and everything is mixed well.
* Pour chocolate chip mixture over the bottom layer and spread evenly. 
* Sprinkle leftover cup of oat mixture over the chocolate. Top with M&Ms and bake for 20-25 minutes. 
*Let cool completely before cutting.
******
This is a recipe I found in Pinterest, so I'll have to report back on how it came out!
My After Action Report:
 These are DELICIOUS!  Also very easy to put together.
Substitutions I used for a slightly healthier bar included using Low Fat Condensed Milk, Hershey Special Dark Chocolate Chips, Lite Unsalted Butter & 
and just 3/4 cup Sugar In The Raw (instead of a full cup of brown sugar).
I definitely recommend using the dark chocolate chips!

This recipe is going to be my Recipe of the Year in our 2014 Christmas letter!
****
What's your favorite type of M&M? 
(I like Peanut best.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!