Monday, October 6

Good Eating Monday: Brian Cook's Chili

 Yesterday Hubby and I were playing around with the various personality & interest "fun tests," at playbuzz.com---with hilarious results.
Hubby did one called, "What Medieval Job Would You Have?"
 He got "Jester."
"That's sooo completely appropriate," I told him. (He's always trying to be funny.)
The questions on these tests are so bizarre and random, like favorite travel destination, favorite T.V. show, favorite food, favorite time of day, favorite type of art, favorite color, etc.
I did one called, "Find Your Fictional Character Soul-Mate," and got---would you believe---Loki as my soul-mate.  ROFL
To this, Hubby said, "Where's a test that tells me I'm Loki?" Then he said, "That should make you say about me, 'I knew something was wrong with you.' "
I also did a "Which Superhero Are You Test." Turns out I am Iron Man.
Really, I think it is only one or two key answers that actually determine the actual outcome. Like in the Superhero test, I think it was because I picked "donuts" as my favorite food that Iron Man turned up.
Lot's of fun!

Today's Good Eating recipe is named after one of the single Air Force guy's from the ministry from years ago who made it for us on several Sunday nights. It's sort of a family recipe of his we call, "Brian Cook's Chili."

This is a basic red chili with ground meat & lots of bell peppers. You can make it on the stove top or in a slow-cookers and adjust the spicyness as you desire. I make it mild with just a touch of jalapeno, so it's doesn't taste immediately spicy, but gives a slight burst of warmth just before you swallow. To me, that is perfect chili.

Brian Cook's Chili
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey or chicken
8  8oz cans of tomato sauce
2 cans red kidney beans, undrained 
1 can pinto beans, undrained
2 green bell peppers, chopped  
1 yellow pepper, chopped
(or you can replace fresh bells with 1 1/2 cups chopped, frozen pepper strips)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 chili seasoning packs
2 to 7 jalapenos  (I usually use just 2 or 3 small, seeded and chopped)
3 tomatoes, chopped

Directions:
In a large pot or slow-cooker add: cans of sauce, cans of beans, chili seasoning & chopped tomatoes & peppers. Brown the ground meat along with the chopped onion & chopped jalapenos, drain off grease, then add to sauce. Bring to boil, then simmer 1 to 2 hours or in slow-cooker, heat on low about 3 to 4 hours. 

Options: You can use all beef or all turkey meat if your prefer and I usually one use one kidney & one pinto in mine, mostly because I have people in my Sunday night gang who don't particularly like a thick amount of beans in anything.
******
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!