Thursday, October 23

Mama Kat Thursday: Pinterest Garden Fails

The Mama Kat prompt topic this week is: "Share something you tried inspired by Pinterest---was it a win or a fail?"

My most recent Pinterest recipe win:"Sausage/Pepper Spaghetti Squash." You can view that recipe here on my Good Eating Monday post.

I also have 3 garden solutions that were Pinterest fails this year:

#1) The Cornmeal Weed Fix Fail:
The Original Caption read,
"Did you know that cornmeal is birth control for seeds? Sprinkle it on your garden and it will keep weed seeds from germinating and growing into plants. Of course, cornmeal will keep any seed from germinating, so don’t try this on your vegetable garden until your plants are established and you’ve finished planting seeds."


The result: Nothing. It didn't work. It wasn't very good birth control for weeds after all. It, however, did kill some plants I planted much later in that bed I put the cornmeal on, but that was long, long after the application. Better to use cornmeal for making cornbread.


#2) The Baking Soda Weed Fix Fail:
This wasn't exactly the Pinterest pin I read, but I read a similar one that said someone, "Edged their flower beds with a sprinkle of baking soda to keep weeds and grass out and that they did that twice a year with great effectiveness."
So I tried a whole box of baking soda sprinkled over my gravel parking spot that was overgrown with all kinds of weeds.

Result: Nothing. I also tried a sprinkle around a bed, but heavy rain washed it into the bed practically killing off all my Shamrocks! Baking soda can be a little dangerous that way. I don't recommend it for weed control.


The Orange Peel Semi-Fail:
I tried this. And I think it is mildly effective as long as the orange peel is fresh enough to give off odor, but in the Florida heat, the peels dried out fairly quickly. I realized I'd have to be putting out fresh orange peel about every 10 days and I just don't eat that many oranges. It's kind of an expensive cure if you don't eat oranges by the bag full. I really wanted it to work on squirrels, but it didn't.

Result: Not effective enough long term or cheap enough to be worth the effort. Smells nice, though. 
*******
What was the last thing from Pinterest You tried?
******
Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I guess you'd call these "untips" since they didn't work - haha. I checked out the spaghetti squash recipe though, and that looks really good! Win some, lose some, right? Popping by from Mama Kat's :-)

TMW Hickman said...

I have yet to find anything that keeps cats or other animals out of things. Sorry about the pinterest fails--it would be great if some of those pins were right!!!

kelley jensen said...

Those were some interesting tips. I tried the hornet trap. That was a pin fail.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!