Good Eating Monday: Pineapple Sheet Cake!

Greetings! Another new week in March! My Hyacinths outside are blooming and I snipped a pink one to bring inside jsut for the smell because they are soooo exquisitely fragrant!
I'll probably feature photos of them on Wednesday!

Today's Good Eating recipe is Pinterest cake recipe I'm trying out this week: Pineapple Sheet Cake!
Though, I actually won't be making until tomorrow to take to Bible Study on base tomorrow night, so I'll have to report back later on how it came out!
 All those Air Force guys & gals make excellent test subjects!

Though it's a sheet cake, I'll be making it in a 9 x 13 pan like the blogger who posted it, so it will be thicker, as in the photo.
She did recommend doing it as a thinner sheet cake if you want to take it to a crowd event, like a picnic.
The recipe calls for 1 can of crushed pineapple with the juice plus 2 cups of sugar in the cake---with pineapple being so sweet itself, I'll definitely be knocking the sugar quantity back some! It's also got frosting and that's a lot of sweet! 

After Action Report: After making it & trying it, I found this a deliciously moist & yummy cake I'd make again! 
So here's the recipe with the healthier changes & substitutions I used noted on the side:

Pineapple Sheet Cake
Ingredients
2 cups sugar (1 1/4 cup coconut sugar is what I used. That would be plenty for any kind of sugar.) 
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup vegetable oil  (I used 1/2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce instead of oil.)
2 eggs
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
(I prefer nuts & coconut to be in a cake, so I added 1/4 cup pecans in the cake mix and saved 1/4 to decorate with. I omitted coconut this time, but, if I were making it for coconut lovers, I'd put at least half the coconut in the cake!)

Boiled Buttery Icing
1 cup sugar
½ cup butter, cut into chunks
⅔ cup evaporated milk
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon cornstarch (to make it thicker, easier)
Optional: ¾ cup sweetened shredded coconut 
                  ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
(Note on this boiled Icing: it's a rich, buttery icing that came out on thin side with just simmering and mostly "fell off " the cake. That's why I suggest the addition of cornstarch. I also believe an adequate cold icing of the same flavor could be made with 1 cup confectioners sugar plus 1 tablespoon melted butter and enough tablespoons of evaporated milk added to bring it to a desirable consistency that would stay on a cake, though a cold icing shouldn't be applied to a hot cake.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan (or a sheet pan if you want a thinner cake to serve more people.)

Combine all cake ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir until evenly combined and then pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes fora 9 x 13 pan OR, for a sheet cake, 20 -25 minutes.

Make icing while the cake bakes. Combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk, 1 Tbsp cornstarch & salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then lower heat. Simmer and stir for 10 minutes or until thickened.
Add the coconut to the icing, if you're using it. Pour icing over hot cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Let cake cool before cutting. (If you use a cold icing, you might let cake cool down some first.)

** If you're allergic to pineapple, substitute a 15oz can of sliced peaches with juice for the can of pineapple and skip the coconut. Pecans go well with peaches, not sure about the coconut. Either cut up the peaches finely or run briefly in a blender & pour into batter mix.***

*******
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!

Comments

Spazington said…
I got to enjoy Bev's version of this on Tuesday- it was delicious!
Unknown said…
Never thought of a sheet cake and pineapple! Thanks for sharing on the (mis)Adventures Mondays Blog Hop!

Popular posts from this blog

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: A Sweaty Problem

Mama Kat Thursday: When A Job Turns Bad

Mama Kat's Prompt Day: The Scolding