Monday, January 23

Good Eating Monday: One Pan Greek Lemon Chicken

Today, I have a new recipe from I tried posted by a blogger-cook I follow in Google+ and actually it's a good, simple one pan dish!
Though, I thought it was a little too lemony for me. I felt the lemon obscured both the garlic and the oregano flavors
 I tried this recipe because the photo is soooo appetizing, but I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts--and that didn't make mine come out as pretty. A good bone-in chicken with skin would definitely have been a better choice!

So, if you want to try this recipe, do use chicken with skin, whatever cuts you prefer and perhaps cut back on the lemon to just a teaspoon of lemon zest. Whether you want to bake garlic heads in it is up to you---if you don't mind the stinky breath that comes with it.
Hubby,one time, back when he was working, went to lunch at a nearby Italian place and happened to eat a bunch of those yummy squishy baked garlic cloves---7 or 8. When he got back to work, his presence was already so odorous, his boss said to him,  "Please do us and the customers all a favor and don't eat there for lunch again."
It was a laugh, but Hubby does absorb garlic unusually fast.

I didn't have an feta on hand either, but this recipe definitely deserves feta crumbles with it! Be sure to get some!

One Pan Greek Lemon Chicken
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 lb. chicken with skin (breasts, thighs, drumsticks, etc)
1 small onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup long grain rice
1 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon oregano (I recommend more)
1 lemon, juice and zest (I recommend just 1 teaspoon zest, unless you love lemon)
2 heads garlic, top 1/4 cut off  (optional)
1 teaspoons olive oil

For serving: 
Chopped fresh parsley
Kalamata (greek) olives
Feta Crumbles

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.
Season chicken with salt & pepper Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large oven-safe skillet, (like cast iron) and brown chicken until skin is nice golden brown 2 -4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan.

Now add onion and cook until onion is tender & lightly brown, 3 -5 minutes.

Then add rice and garlic to onions in pan and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add broth to pan and deglaze pan by scraping up any burnt bits left behind from browning chicken while the broth simmers.

Mix in the oregano & lemon, then add chicken, skin side up, garlic heads, cover and place in oven. Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes until rice is cooked and garlic heads, if you used them, are brown & tender.
(If you love lemon, you might top each chicken with a thin slice of lemon before baking, like photos.)

Serving:
If you baked the garlic heads, when you serve, squeeze some of the baked garlic onto the rice & mix in before topping with chicken, kalamata olives, feta crumbles and a sprinkle of Parsley!

I did take a photo of how mine turned out:
How my One Pan Greek Lemon Chicken came out.

It was very, very lemony. A little too much onion, which is why I suggested only a 1/2 cup in the recipe above and a little lacking in color. It was also a little bland colored, so I think I might add frozen green peas to it or something. 
The leftovers the next day were actually a little more tasty and the lemon had dissipated a little.



Here's my friend, Dee's cooking suggestion for this recipe:
Dredge chicken pieces in lightly in flour seasoned with Sage, Oregano, Thyme & Parsley and brown till crispy in skillet. Move chicken to plate. Saute onions & garlic. Add a splash of white wine & deglaze, followed by chicken stock & 2/3 cup whole wheat orzo. Add chicken back, sprinkle with lemon zest & juice, then cover and bake as directed. 
I like the idea of dredging the chicken in additional spices! 
Thanks Dee!
*****
This recipe comes from Closet Cooking, if you're interested in looking this or  more of this blogger-cook's recipes!

1 comment:

Diana Davis said...

I made this with a few tweaks. I dredged the chicken in a bit of flour, oregano, thyme, parsley and sage. Then I fried the skin til crispy. Moved the chicken to a plate, then sauteed the onion and garlic. Tossed in a splash of white wine to deglaze, followed with the chicken stock. Tossed in 2/3 cup whole wheat orzo and brought to a gentle boil. Then I added the chicken back, sprinkled with zest and lemon juice. Baked the whole thing as directed. Absolutely delightful. I served olives and feta on the side because Jim doesn't like either. I did not find the lemon overpowering but then again, I love lemon. It's a keeper, Bev.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!