Mama Kat Thursday: Favorite Chocolate Recipe!

Today's Mama Kat prompt is, no doubt, inspired by Valentines Day, which is all about chocolate & roses. 
 I, personally, would rather have the chocolate. At least, I can eat that. Can't eat roses.
So, for the love of chocolate, I'm going to feature my ultimate favorite chocolate dessert recipe:
 Chocolate Pudding Cake!

This decadent mocha-chocolate treat was often part of what our Mother called "oven meals," served during our growing-up years that I talked about last weeks Mama Kat Thursday.
Chocolate Pudding Cake is sometimes also called "Hot Fudge Cake," since it creates it's own rich sauce during baking---but what sets this recipe apart, is the instant coffee you add to the water that deepens the flavor!
"Chocolate Pudding Cake" was the Hershey company's name for it, since this was originally a label recipe on Cocoa can label in the 60's.
(Photo is from Pinterest)


Chocolate Pudding Cake
Topping Ingredients:  
1 cup sugar 
1 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup unsweetened Hershey cocoa
Combine topping ingredients together in bowl and set aside.


Cake Ingredients:
1 cup sugar 
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
Sift the above dry ingredients together into a bowl, then stir in:
1 cup milk
6 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine. 
2 teaspoons vanilla

Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan and spread evenly. Over top sprinkle topping mixed earlier over cake batter evenly.
Then pour this over the top:
2 1/2 cups hot water mixed with 1 teaspoon instant coffee

Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, until cake has floated to top and is done.
Let cool 10 -15 minutes before serving and serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
******
You can cut this recipe in half & make an 8 x 8 size pan if you'd like a smaller amount! I have many times.
It's very good served cold the next day, too! I remember enjoying a bowl of it for breakfast many mornings as a teenager before going off to school! Yum!
So what's your favorite chocolate dessert?


Thanks for Visiting!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Because of your post last week I made this though the recipe I found online was slightly different. I am going to try this version as well. Thanks.
carol daniels said…
Sounds divine! I especially enjoyed your memory of eating cake for breakfast the next morning. What a comforting memory for you!
aestamary said…
This looks really yummy.
I'm down with your hot fudge cake! That looks amazing!
KatBouska said…
Oh my gosh, I need this in my life immediately!

Popular posts from this blog

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Mama Kat Thursday: The Halloween's of Yesteryear

Mama Kat Thursday: A Sweaty Problem