Mama Kat Thursday: 2 New Things I Learned In March

For the Mama Kat blog prompt link-up today, something new I learned in March is the topic.
I learned 2 new things in March:

#1)  I learned Red Maple trees do not like being topped or shaped or thinned. It will cause them to die within 2 or 3 years. They'll tolerate a lower branch or two being trimmed off at the trunk, but that's it. Same with Silver Maples.
I learned this from a arborist tree cutting professional we invited over to discuss trimming branches on our various trees.
There are tree cutters, who will whack down anything, and then there are tree cutters who are also certified arborist's, who really know trees and how best to care for them. I wanted someone who knew trees and he came highly recommended by a friend.
My red maple is native and was already on the property when we had the house built. It's a triple trunk, 29 years of age. (Saw it grow from suckers 29 years ago.) Not really that pretty in fall, but it's a healthy deciduous shade tree as compared to the tons of pine trees around here and I didn't have to plant it.
We're expecting him back in near future to trim a few lower branches off our two pines and a bay tree. 

#2)  I learned how to change a mower blade.
Actually Hubby and I learned together. He's never changed a mower blade either and I needed him to manage the loosening and tightening of the screw holding the blade in place.
Our mower is electric with a cord I plug in when I want to mow, so it won't start up even by accident if it's not plugged in.
We learned you need to put wood board against the blade to secure it from random turning while loosening the center screw.
After that, it was just a matter of pulling off the old blade and tightening on the new one. 
The old blade looked pretty rough. I think it was just beating grass to death rather then cutting anything.
(This photo is just general one from Pinterest of a gas mower, since it shows a wood board securing the blade.)
******
So what did you learn that was new in March?


Thanks for Visiting!

Comments

KatBouska said…
I always wondered if it bothered trees when we trimmed all their body parts. How interesting! And kudos to you for changing your own blade! That's such an accomplished feeling. :)
Abby said…
I've had a couple of arborists do tree work for us over the years (at different houses). I've always been impressed with their knowledge. Good for you for consulting first before getting someone to just lop stuff from your red maple!

Popular posts from this blog

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: A Sweaty Problem

Mama Kat Thursday: When A Job Turns Bad

Mama Kat's Prompt Day: The Scolding