Garden Pic Wednesday: Giant Agave!

Around the corner from us, a neighbor has a couple Giant Agave plants. I've been waiting for them to bloom, so I could photograph their unique flower head up close.
Finally one of them is putting up a bloom stalk.
Giant Agave are huge.
Just to give you perspective on size, I had Hubby stand next to one. He's 5-8.
That giant asparagus-looking stalk behind him is the flower stem. 
It's thick as a flag pole and will rise 16 to 20 feet before it blooms.



Giant Agave are fairly common around here. They have about a 10 year lifespan and bloom around the 10th year, then they die. They pup new ones around the base like an Aloe.

I think they're unique looking, but to just stick one in a woodsy pine tree landscape doesn't make sense to me. I don't care for them, but if I were going to have a Giant Agave, I'd want to set up a corner as as in more of a desert landscape with rocks and pebbles and Yucca and succulents or a mix of more tropical plants.

Here's some good desert landscape examples I found in Pinterest with large agaves:




The Giant Agave flower head is very unique looking and I'm looking forward to photographing and sharing it sometime in the next few weeks!

Comments

aestamary said…
They’re beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Thursday Writers Prompt: Radio Memories

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Crafts!

Good Eating Monday: Peach Cobbler Dump Cake!