Good Eating Monday: Home-Seasoned Taco Meat

   Greetings! I'm pleased to say I got to see and take photos of the newly emerged Black Swallowtail butterflies! Those will be Wednesday's Pics!
 
Today, however, is Good Eating Monday and I have two items to share:
#1) An Iced Tea-Making Tip from Pinterest for Better Tea: 
 Add 1/4 tsp baking soda to your steeping tea, let steep normal time, then put in gallon container and fill with cold water.
Sweeten it if you like.
(1/4 tsp per gallon.)
I tried this and it made excellent iced tea!
What the baking soda does is remove bitterness common to tea.
 
#2)  A basic seasoning recipe for Taco meat, so you can skip the pre-packaged pack.
The advantage is a tastier meat with less salt.
Measurements are approximate and you can adjust to taste.
 

For 3 lbs of ground chicken I used:
1 med to large green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup red onion, minced
2 tsp salt
4-5 Tbsp Chili Powder
4 tsp cumin
4 tsp turmeric
2 tsp Hot Mrs. Dash
1/2 cup minced Golden Greek Peperoncini's (from jar)
1/2 cup Peperoncini juice from jar
1 16oz jar mild or medium salsa
 
Directions: Brown ground meat with onion, bell pepper and salt. Once meat is browned add remaining seasonings, peperoncini's, peperoncini juice and salsa. Stir until well combined and heated through.
**It's the mildly spicy peperoncini's and their juice that really makes this meat mix special**
Serves about 10
(At my house this served 10 hungry Air Force guys and girls and they ate it to the bottom of the pan, then gave me rave reviews on the taste!  I did my own seasoning because I forgot to buy seasoning packets, but this was better, so forget the packets!)
 
For less meat, just reduce the seasoning to taste, but keep the same amount of pepper & onion. It's not that much. 
 
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!