“ This Christmas,” our Mother firmly and unexpectedly announced, “there will be NO chocolate.” My sisters and I stared at her incredulously. What, no chocolate? It was inconceivable! You see, every year, for as long as I could remember, there had been chocolate on Christmas. Not just a little chocolate, but an opulent extravaganza of chocolate that would've made even Willy Wonka blush. Empty decorative bowls would be laid out on Christmas Eve, enough to cover our 7 foot dining table, only to be “magically” filled by morning with Hershey’s Kisses, Hershey's Mini-bars, chocolate peanut clusters, chocolate turtles, chocolate cremes, M&M's of both types, chocolate stars, chocolate-covered cherries, Tootsie rolls and candy bars of every type. It was a veritable chocolate feast the Ghost of Christmas Present would surely admire. How...
It's been raining intermittently today as the tail of Isaac's outer-most eastern band passed over us today. Luckily, no thunder this a.m. so I could get to water aerobics at the Y. Thundered later a bit, but sun is out now. It's one of those liquid sunshine kind of days. I'm also pleased to report, since last night, someone has purchased one of the ties I just posted in my Zazzle store! Cool beans! Today's Mama Kat Prompt is: What do you remember most about your childhood bedroom? That's a good question and it has a pretty funny answer. First you have to picture that my 2 younger sisters and I shared one large. That by itself is memorable. It must have been at least 20' x 20' in size and the 3 of us each had a corner of it to call our own. I slept in a double bed, while my 2 sisters slept in the bunk-bed our Dad had built. He had carpentry skills and it was a huge, sturdy thing, larger then any store-bought bunk. Here's the funny pa...
My first car waa a baby blue 1978 Ford Pinto Hatchback, 4-speed standard transmission just like this. I bought it after I got out of the Air Force and returned home to Indiana. It was 1980 and I was planning on going to college. I saw it advertised for sale by an individual in the local paper. Price was great and it was in great condition. It got 45 miles to the galleon on the highway--which actually puts modern, lighter gasoline burning vehicles to shame, considering that blue body was all metal. Heavy, too--on a good downward hill in neutral it could coast 50-60 miles an hour flat out. It took me to college the next years and was our primary vehicle after husband and I got married for another year or so. I looking back, I regret we didn't keep it after we bought a new car. It would've been smarter to have kept it.
I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's in Indiana, graduating in 1975 and back then, if you wanted to listen to music, you either bought records or listened to radio. Then, radio was as vital as cellphones are today for staying in touch with news or music. Everyone had one or more at home, and, if out and about, they could carry hand-size portable radios. Of course, everyone had radio in their cars. In was around 1972 that my Dad gave me a used radio he'd repaired. (Fixing electronics was his profession.) It had a boxy shape and played AM and FM. I was coming into my teenage years and started being more interested in listening to popular radio music. They're rock classics nowadays, but Top 40 Hits of 1972 I remember well include: Song Sung Blue by Neil Diamond Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress by the Raspberries Knights in White Satin by The Moody Blues A Horse With No Name by America If Lovin' You is Wrong, I Don't Wanna Be Right by Puttin' Game Down Am...
The Mama Kat prompt I'm doing today is to share about a time I was forced to leave my comfort zone. I grew up in rural Indiana and I was in 4-H from age 10 to about 11th grade. My parents became local Club leaders when I was around 12. That's probably how my Mom knew about the state-wide 4-H event being held on the Purdue campus in Lafayette, Indiana. I was around 15 then and it was an overnight trip. I went. By myself. On a bus with a gob of other kids from other area 4-H clubs. I was the only one from my club who went and the only person I vaguely knew was the County Extension Office 4-H rep who also went. This is the first time I went anywhere without my family. So we arrived on the huge Purdue University campus around lunchtime. As we got off the bus, a person was there with a fan of activity tickets for a variety of mini-workshops for us each to pick two of, then we stowed our gear in dorm rooms and went to lunch in a campus cafeteria. I've always been an introvert, bu...
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!