Mama Kat Thursday: My Favorite Childhood Game

I my growing-up era was the 60's and early 70's. I had two younger sisters and one of the many things we enjoyed doing was playing board games. We had a closet full of games to choose from, but one of my personal favorites was my "Barbie Queen of the Prom," game!

It was a little like Barbie Monopoly. The game was for 4 players, who moved around the board earning money to buy a prom dress, earn a school club pin, get a sweet-heart ring and choose a boyfriend. Whoever got to the final "Prom" space with all 4 items won the game.
The thing was, how fancy a dress you got or which boyfriend you got was first come, first serve. The first player, of course, could pick the best dress and best boyfriend (which was Ken). The last player usually got stuck with freckly-faced ol' Poindexter for a date and who wanted that?

It's funny I was just thinking about this very game today, how much fun I got out of it. I remember was generally particular about the care & keeping of any game that was mine.
Looking back, I realize, as a kid, my thought process about games, or really anything I considered a personal belonging, was that I wanted to take good care of it so I could have it around to enjoy for a long, long time, because I didn't know whether I'd ever have another.
 On the outside, this naturally translated into fairly protective and controlling behavior about when or if a game that was mine got played.

And this is what I was thinking about today--what motive, what thought lay behind these "bossy," appearing childhood actions about games?
 It was because I wanted to hold onto things I loved for as long as I could.
That proved to be a fateful feeling that would follow me long into adulthood--until I eventually grew to understand and accept that sometimes one simply can't keep things. Life is like an like an ocean, always in motion, always reshaping the sand it rolls over.
****
So, what was your favorite childhood game?


That's it for today! Thanks for visiting!
Stop back to see what I "Find" for tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party