Mama Kat Thursday: The Summer Without TV

The Mama Kat blog writing topic for today is to, "Trouble I Got Into One Summer."

It wasn't a bad sort of trouble. I didn't even cause it. It was just an inspiration our parents had that didn't quite work out as imagined.
I think it was around 1972. The television had gone on the fritz in the spring, just before school let out. I'm quite sure it was an older model with vacuum tubes and all. We always had "adopted TV's" that our Dad would be home from work because customers would often choose to give up a TV rather then fix it. He was a professional TV repairman. It's what he did and he could have easily fixed our TV.
However, he and Mother Mom decided we 3 kids should have a summer, "without TV."
That sounds like a good idea, right?
Get the kids outside, less time in front of the tube. 
We lived way out in the country anyway, with lots of woods and a creek, so there was plenty of adventure to be had, plus we could play games or Barbies indoors.
There was just one thing no one counted on: the record player!


It was the era of 33-size vinyl records. We had numerous kids albums full of sing-along songs, including a Winnie-the-Pooh album. My youngest sister, who was around 10, loved playing those albums---especially that Winnie-the-Pooh album!


 After hearing Pooh sing about bears and trees and honey day after day after day, we started having Winnie-the-Pooh dreams.
I remember Pooh and his honey tree haunting my dreams, singing, "Isn't it funny, how a bear likes honey? Buzz, Buzz, Buzz. I wonder why he does?"

It wasn't just me either. Mother, too, was having singing Pooh dreams.
It was an ear-worm all day and a nightmare all night.
I'm not sure if we made it all the way to August that summer before Mother was telling Dad he had to fix the TV and soon, so we could all stop dreaming about Winnie-the-Pooh!
That's my amusing "summer trouble" one year when I was a kid that's one of those laughable family memories now.
***

What's your family's favorite amusing story?



Thanks for Visiting!

Comments

Unknown said…
I've never been a fan of Pooh. I think it's funny how kids want to play the same thing over and over. Bless your parent's hearts for trying to get you outside and playing using your imagination. Came over from mamakats. Great story!!
carol daniels said…
I remember playing vinyl records! Your parents had a great idea, but it is a little amusing that it back fired on them. Have your pooh dreams ended??
May said…
When I was a kid I had a 45 record (you know the single version) of I Believe. It was so dramatic. I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows. But at age 6 it was pure poetry on a level of beauty I had never before encountered. So, I encountered it daily, many, many times daily. Finally, two of my big brothers decided something had to give. Either I was out or that record was. We lived next door to the city post office where they flung it frisbee style right on top of that roof.
Susan Joy Clark said…
Funny story. :) I do dream musical dreams sometimes. My older brothers are 12, 10 and 8 years older than me. They had a "Huckleberry Hound Sing-Along" album that they played to pieces and drove my parents to madness. By the time, I was old enough to play it, the album cover had a tear down the center and was held together with masking tape. My poor parents had to hear me play the silly album repeatedly even after my brothers were fairly grown. They had to wait a long time to get a respite from that. :) Thanks for sharing your story.

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects