Garden Pic Wednesday: Stinkhorn Fungi & A Cuppa Chicks


Clathrus Columnatus (Stinkhorn)
Ever seen a Clathrus Columnatus growing in your mulch bed or lawn?
They're a funny little fungi common to the Gulf Coast, though they've been spotted as far north as Pennsylvannia.
They frequent my mulched beds, especially when we've had a lot of rain. When I first saw one, I had to look it up to see what the little stinky thing was!
This mushroom's common name is "Stinkhorn," and it's called that for good reason. It emits a mild stink to attract flies, which is how it disperses it's spores. (Most of the black specs in the photo are flies of various sorts.)
It's bright orange colored and has this funny architectural form comprised of 3 loops or "columns." Usually about 2 to 4 inches tall.

My other picture today is one of my garden art extra-large teacups filled with baby Hen & Chick succulents and some moss that has moved in.
The mix of pea gravel, Chicks & green moss just looked so pretty, I though you'd enjoy it!


That's it for today! In light of it being New Year's, I'll see you in 2016 for Good Eating Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Good Eating Monday: Peach Cobbler Dump Cake!

Mama Kat Thursday: The Halloween's of Yesteryear

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Crafts!