Garden Pic Wednesday: Nests & Blue Buntings!

I finally got that block project done and planted! 
Remember, my goal was to replace grass that wasn't thriving with something I don't have to mow.
Hopefully, it will make a nice picture later in summer.



Chickadee Nest!
We have Carolina Chickadees here, which look very similar to the Black Capped, just smaller in size. This is what a typical Chickadee nest looks like: lots of moss topped with fine hair and grasses filling the cavity 3/4 full! Pretty amazing!
They raised a brood earlier in March, so I was emptying the house.



Indigo Buntings
I called Hubby to the door to peer out at this rare sight: a pair of Indigo Buntings and their fledging picking up seed off the ground under the feeder and in the feeder!
There was a male (pictured) and a female and a fledgling with them.


Indigo Buntings are a deeper blue then Bluebirds and all blue.
They're very common throughout the Eastern United States, but they tend to prefer brush-covered fences along roadways or the edges of woods. Not a bird house nester, though they'll visit a feeder for millet and other small songbird type seeds.

Below is their fledgling: he's just getting his color. I have another photo and I could see he was splotchy.


Comments

Nikki said…
I've always wanted to see Indigo Buntings at my feeders! I have Bluebirds but not I B. Love it!
:) gwingal

Popular posts from this blog

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Mama Kat Thursday: The Halloween's of Yesteryear

Mama Kat Thursday: A Sweaty Problem