Garden Pic Wednesday: Red & Pink Hibiscus!

We had a nice, much needed little thunder shower yesterday!
I recently replanted a mix variety of lettuce seeds in a pot of rich garden soil that I put near the front door in the strawberry bed.
Also a short row of radish seed.  The strawberries don't like the end of the bed near my front door, so I use it as an auxiliary garden.
I didn't find the lettuce seed performed that well in the veggie bed. Not sure why. Maybe the sun is too intense. But I have gotten good performance from it in a pot--usually one that's more shaded.
That's a trick about gardening in Florida--things that like full sun further north, needed partial shade here.

Today's Garden Pics are my gorgeous Hardy Hibiscus!
This is not the tropical form, which is a shrub, but the tall upright variety that dies back in winter and returns from root every spring.
They average 4 to 5 feet tall and run in a variety of shades from light pink to deep burgundy red, plus white and I believe a pale yellow is also available.
They can reseed readily, though mine generally don't. I trim off the seed pots on the front pair, but not the ones in the back, yet not a seedling do I see.

First: My Pink & Burgundy Bi-Color Hibiscus:
It's rare the blossom arrange themselves so I can get a good photo of both a pink and red blossom in the same frame! I love this light baby pink!
It springs from a single root raised from a single seedling I planted several years ago. It's located out front on the right side of our gravel pull-in parking spot.


Next: My Hibiscus of Unusual Size:
On the other side, opposite the bi-color, is this one: an all red hibiscus of unusual height: 7 to 8 feet!  I planted it from the same batch of seedlings as the other, still it grew to super-height.
I keep both tied to stakes, since they have a tendency to flop over.
It's really putting on a splendid show! 
(Both photos were just taken yesterday.)


And Finally A Special Treat: A Green Tree Frog 
This guy was tucked in the corner of our vinyl siding above our front door a couple mornings ago.
This is a fully grown adult. Their color is so striking! They're also quite talkative at night with loud, raspy trilling.


That's it for today! Come back for Mama Kat tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!