Good Eating Monday: Slow-Cooker Bean & Veggie Soup

I'm running late posting tonight.  I  had too much fun "playing" outside in the flower bed, getting it dug and seeds planted. After that it was supper time, then Monday is my one big TV watching night for me with 3 shows I like: Super Girl, Scorpion, then Castle. 

Today's Good Eating recipe is based on Pinterest recipe for
Slow Cooker Bean & Veggie Soup!
After we got home from a week away visiting family, I wanted to have a veggie soup to eat on for a few days. 
What I made isn't an exact copy of the Pinterest recipe, but my own version of it, since a high fiber, low fat vegetable soup with beans can be comprised of any combination of things you like. 
It's a healthy meatless soup intended to be high in vegetable protein & fiber. 
Anyway, here's the basic ingredients I used for my 
Slow-Cooker Bean & Veggie Soup:

1 (32oz) box of chicken stock (or any broth favor you prefer)
1 cup matchstick carrots (or sliced carrots)
1 zucchini, sliced & slices cut into quarters.
1/2 bag washed, loosely packed spinach
Either 1 medium potato, cut into 1" cubes OR 1 medium sweet potato peeled & cut into 1" cubes (whichever you prefer)
2 (15oz) cans of  no-salt added beans, drained, any kind (I used butter beans & chickpeas) 
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup frozen bell pepper strips
1/2 to 1 cup of sliced fresh Portabella mushrooms.
1 (15oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon Allspice
2 teaspoons Paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of salt to taste
1 1/2 Tablespoon Olive oil
( I also had a can of diced Rutabaga that I used because I had it in my pantry.)

Directions:
Spray a large slow cooker (6 quart size) with oil spray, then just dump all the ingredients & seasonings into your slow-cooker, give it a stir, then set on high if you want it done in 2 or 3 hours or low, if you want it ready in 4 or 5.


Serving:
You can add a 1/2 teaspoon drizzle of additional Olive Oil to each serving of soup if you want a little additional benefit from Olive Oil.
But my FAVORITE way to eat this soup is to re-heat it, then add a microwaved cup of Minute Ready to Serve Multi-Grain Medley to it!  Yummy!
****
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: The Big Win

Garden Pic Wednesday: Coneflowers