Good Eating Monday: Easy Crab Patties

I went to the eye doctor today. I've been seeing him since 1986, when we moved here. He's just this year moved into semi-retirement, working only one day a week now on Mondays and luckily he's giving his long-time patients first preference for appointments. I doubt he taking new patients. I wouldn't know quite what to do with myself if I had to find a new eye doctor, so I was relieved to get an email inviting me to make an appointment!

Today's Good Eating recipe is a Pinterest recipe for "Easy Crab Cakes," I tried out, because I had 2 cans of crab on the shelf!
The base Commissary had a clearance on Bumble Bee Crab for like 50 cents a can or something really cheap like that and I decided to get a couple to make Crab patties with.
Since I've never made Crab patties, I had to look through Pinterest for a easy recipe.
I like eating seafood for lunch, when Hubby's not around. He thanked me tonight for sparing him the torture of having to eat Crab patties!  LOL!
Anyway, this is a terrific recipe, for those who like crab. It's especially nice because it's designed for use with 1 pound of pre-cooked or ready-to-use Crab meat or imitation Crab chunks.
I only had 2 cans, which = 4 oz of crab meat, so I only used 1/4th of the recipe. 
This recipe & photo come from a nice recipe blog called, "Dishes & Dust Bunnies."

Easy Crab Cakes
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb pre-cooked or ready to eat crab meat (or use imitation crab meat)
  • ¼ - ½ cup fresh dill, chopped (or 1 - 2 Tbsp dried dill)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1½ tsp grainy Dijon mustard
      (I used Horseradish Mustard)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove, minced
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp Worchestershire sauce
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of pepper
  • ¾ cup of mayonnaise  (I used Lite Miracle Whip)
  • 1 egg
  • ¾ cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs, any flavor. (I used Progresso Garlic & Herb)
  • Olive or Coconut or Grape seed oil for frying. Just a light quantity.

Directions:
In a mixing bowl break up the crab meat so that it's in smaller chunks and flaky. (If canned, drain well)
Add the remaining ingredients to the crab meat and stir together until well mixed. Form the mixture into 16 small patties.
(Cooking Tip: I've found all seafood patties fry up better if you dip their tops and bottoms in a thin layer of plain yellow cornmeal spread thinly on a plate, so the patty gets a light coating on both sides. This helps them stay together while cooking, makes them easier to turn and adds a nice bit of crunchy texture!)
Heat 1 Tbsp favorite cooking oil (Olive, Coconut, Grape Seed) in a large skilled over medium-high heat to start. Use oil sparingly, but add more if needed.
Make sure that the oil is hot before dropping the crab cakes into the skillet. If the oil is not hot enough it will absorb into the crab cakes!

Cook the crab cakes for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. If cooking from frozen you'll need to cook an additional 1-2 minutes on each side. Once they've cooked remove from the skillet and place on paper towel to drain any excess vegetable oil. (I only cooked four and they weren't greasy at all, so I didn't have to drain mine.)
Serve with rice and/or veggies or salad.
****
If you have less then 1 lb of crab meat or imitation crab you're working with, just reduce the recipe measurements as needed by half or a quarter as needed.
****
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!

Comments

Amy Johnson said…
Nice to meet you through Between the Lines! These crab cakes look delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Crafts!

Good Eating Monday: Peach Cobbler Dump Cake!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: Quotables