Garden Pic Wednesday: Promises of Spring

I've been getting over a cold for the past week. New Year's present. It's a cough/head cold thing I guess is going around.  I'm just thankful it didn't include a stuffy nose--I had when I have to mouth breathe.

Wednesday is the day I usually reserve for outside work and it's actually really sunny and pleasant today for Florida winter, so I got out and did some raking. Also finished up on Pampas Grass I was working on a few weeks ago.

For photos today, I have 2 shots of new growth in two of my containers, just taken last week, that hold promises of spring being just around the corner!

Red Salvia Seedings:
The large one in the middle sprang up from seed, too. It was up first a couple months ago and the other little babies came up more recently. They'll eventually be moved to other containers and garden spots. 
You wonder how? Once a Red Salvia stalk has finished blooming and all the blooms are brown, I just snap the stalk off and drop it in the container and the seeds fall into the soil. This works most successfully in containers, where you can control where the seeds are and recognize them easily.





Snake Iris
This container is where I planted my new Snake Iris earlier in the fall. Those tall, thin leaves in the center are it. I'm looking forward to seeing it. It's a miniature iris head that's lime green with purple-black flag petals.
In a ring around the Iris, I also planted Blue Peppermint Grape Hyacinth bulbs and looking closely at this picture, I realize a couple of their leaves are poking up, too. 
The other patches of lime green are Creeping Jenny---such great stuff! Easy to propagate by just breaking off a stem and planting it, spreads easily, tough as nails and stays green right through Florida winter. Won't even freeze.
This container will eventually receive some of those Red Salvia seedlings when they're older.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!