Garden Pic Wednesday: Garden Bed Clean-up!

Garden beds surrounding my house also run under windows about to be replaced and, you know, workmen aren't delicate walkers when they're doing a job.
So, I've been planning how best to protect my flowers.

1) In front of my front bay windows I have a shrub/climbing rose, Easter Lilies and hosta.
  
My plan  for that is to just trim back the Hosta bloom stems, cut the Easter Lilies to the ground, then just trim the roses down enough I can place various covers over them. I have buckets & containers suited to the job.

2) The one corner of the kitchen bay window has a Coneflower and 3 daylilies, plus there's some random Easter lilies.
My plan for that is to cut the coneflower bloom stems to the ground, then I have a square large enough to cover it and the 3  Daylilies surrounding it. (They're my fancy hybrid daylilies)
The Easter lilies can be cut to the ground and there's little else there to be concerned with.

3)  The south wall bed pictured here has a row of my fancy hybrid Daylilies running most of it's length, but just this one window.
Cleaning up this bed and reorganizing what to do with plants under the window was today's project.
I moved 2 Daylilies already, digging them up in a large clod of dirt and transferring to a new spot, so not to disturb the roots. Hopefully, they'll still bloom later.
You can see in the photo yet another two Daylilies remain plus blackberry. My plan is to wait until we've set a date for the replacement job, then, the evening before dig up those Daylilies and stash them in a pan with a little water. The windows will be done in a day and I can replant them. The blackberry can just be trimmed back. I considered moving it, but they tend not to like that.



The rest of the bed:
Those containers hold container blueberries and I had to move them down further today, too. They're netted to keep birds out.
Mockingbirds love blueberries. Even green ones.



























4)  Finally, there's a narrow bed under the west window around the corner, but luckily, there's just a few things I can trim back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories

Mama Kat Thursday: Legend of the Paddling Machine