The Mama Kat Thursday blog prompt link-up topic is: "You won an award at some point in your life...what was it for?" I'm terrible at sports. I don't like hitting or chasing or bouncing or catching balls of any sort. I also hated games like "steal the bacon" or "kick-ball." At the age when one is playing such things in school and developing that skill set, I lacked eye-hand coordination. However, with age, and eventually a little depth perception correction with glasses, that changed. I had one occasion to go into a batting cage in my late 30's. Bat in hand, I swung the bat at balls the machine was throwing at me and enjoyed the great satisfaction of actually hitting every one. It was a redeeming moment. But I didn't really find my niche until Hubby and I took a 6-week beginner foil fencing class. Now, technically, fencing is a martial art and like other martial arts, it's not about size or strength, but speed, skill--a...
This shot is out along my front walk: Purple Shamrocks, Dusty Miller in the background, Shasta Daisy greens to the bottom left and directly behind the strawberry pot & shamrocks are the tall spikes of my Siberian iris.
Today's pretty Garden Pic is this blue Hydrangea that's right opposite my front door. Mostly it's blue---though I have seen it bloom both blue and pink heads before. If the soil acidity gets low, it's blooms more pink. I just add Epsom salts around the base periodically to keep it blue. The rain gutter re-do won't start until around the end of June. It will be nice to have gutters that actually work well. In the meantime, I'm working my way around the house, edging beds. Also still trying to get some annual flower seeds going. The Forget-Me-Knots I got from my sister while home for the Celebration of Life for our Mom, are sprouting. I collect blue flowers, so these are perfect. My sister had a pile of them on the table for people who attended the celebration to take home. Neat idea.
Today's chosen prompt is to share a memory from 12th grade and of all my years o f high school, 12th grade has some nice memory highlights. Probably one of my best memories of 12th grade is writing fanfiction with my friend Cheryl. We became friends in 9th grade and I got her hooked on my interest in it. There was a masked-hero show called "The Green Hornet" in re-runs then and I fell in love with writing script-like fanfiction for that show. Cheryl liked the idea and started writing similar fanfiction for her favorite show, Mannix. We both even had an original character we added into the mix. I remember many a study hall period, us sitting side-by-side, talking in hushed whispers about whatever we wrote the night before. Having someone to share a common interest with was super cool. The other highlight of 12th grade was having a boy actually ask me to be his experiment partner for a Psych class project. I'd known him since 10th grade, but I was just ...
The Mama Kat's Writing Prompt of choice this week is #5: Share a story about a sibling . My growing up years were full of magic and adventure. I remember so much laughter and romping through sun-dappled woods down to the gurgling creek flowing through the valley below our house, the dog running ahead of us, her tail like a flag in the breeze. My two younger sisters and I could skip agiley over the rocks we placed in the stream for crossing, like little mountain goats, our feet never touching water. There was always adventure to had, flowers to be found, creepy-crawlies to be discovered and I remember our Barbie and Ken dolls enjoyed many a luxurious, stone-lined spa in that stream. However, the particular sibling story I want to tell happened not by the steam, but near the house out in my Mother's garden. Now we're talking a huge garden, two of them, in fact, arranged one above the...
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!