Good Eating Monday: Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken

I had to wait until after dinner to write about this dish, since I just tried it today!
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken! 
Also Hubby thought the seasoning was on the bland side, but otherwise it was very good! So the ingredient list I'm putting here is adjust from the original to what I think will improve the seasoning including a bit more brown sugar, more Oregano, a can of diced Fire Roasted tomatoes, which makes it saucier, & diced onions.
The recipe uses dark meat because dark meat performs better in a slow cooker by staying more moist then white meat.
The original recipe comes a blog I follow on Google+ called, "Lady Behind the Curtain."

Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
Ingredients:
2 to 2 1/2 lbs thighs and/or legs (I one pack boneless thighs)
1/3 cup White Cooking Wine3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar3 or 4 teaspoons dried Oregano or Italian seasoningOptional: 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
Salt & Pepper to Taste
3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
6 Cloves Garlic, crushed (or minced)
1/2 cup diced onion (I added)
1 Tablespoon Capers
1/3 cup pitted green olives (I used sliced black olives)
1/2 cup Prunes  (I bought diced)
1  15oz  can Fired-Roasted Diced Tomatoes (Something I added to recipe that Hubby thought best part.)
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped & added last 30 minutes.
2 to 3 Tablespoons cornstarch mixed with little water, then hot sauce from slow cooker to stir in when you add Parsley at 30 minute mark. This will thicken the sauce slightly for serving.
Directions:
In a 5-6 quart slow-cooker, spray with oil cooking spray, then add white cooking wine, red vinegar, brown sugar, Oregano & Cinnamon and whisk together.
Add diced Fire Roasted tomatoes, capers, prunes, olives, onions, garlic & stir together.
Then arrange chicken pieces in mix, cover and cook 5 or 6 hours on Low or 3 to 4 hours on High.
Before last 30 minutes, gently stir in chopped Parsley & your cornstarch mix of water & sauce. (By adding a little sauce from the slow cooker to your cornstarch/water mix, it brings it up to the same temperature, so the cornstarch won't lump.)
Serve over hot steamed rice. Serves about 4 people.

****
I really liked this with the Fire Roasted Tomatoes in this & it gave the recipe a good level of sauce. I'm not fond of olives and especially hate the green kind, but can tolerate the black, so I used sliced black olives I had on hand. They and the prunes blended so well into the dish, I didn't even taste them.
I'd like a touch of cinnamon to make it more Greek.
****
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The recipe sounds so good and the picture is beautiful. I've been looking for a new slow cooker recipe for chicken. I know you aren't a big fan of the green olives but do you think using the black olives made that big of a difference in the taste? Also, I've never cooked with prunes and thought that was an interesting twist. Do the prunes make the dish sweeter or is that just what makes the dish more mediterranean? Definitely going to try this over the weekend. Thanks for sharing it.

Diane Lynn
http://www.thegratitudeletters.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party