Good Eating Monday: Black Bean Quesadilla

     Welcome back! Happy Monday to you!
Had a really good cardio/weight training work-out at the Y this morning, then came home and had a black bean quesadilla for lunch while watching the most recent episode of "Once Upon A Time," at abc.com.
After that, I moved a couple baby tomato plants that came up close together to separate locations, then resprayed the vinyl-siding with bleach/detergent, since I didn't have enough bleach for the whole job last week.
I like a green patina on my clay pots; not so much on my house.
 
Today's Good Eating recipe is for my favorite lunch: "Black Bean Quesadilla."


 
Really, when I make these, I just add things like onions and shake on seasons as suits me, but for you I'll give some approximate measurements, though you can add or less of whatever you like to your own tastes.
 
One can of black beans works out to 1/2 cup of beans each on four 7-inch tortillas making a total of 4 quesadillas.
Perfect for one a day for my lunches.
My favorite tortilla is LaTortilla Factory 7-inch Gourmet Whole Wheat Tortillas because they're high fiber and only 50 calories each.
Black bean quesadillas make a great "meatless meal" that's still loaded with protein!
Ingredients:
1 15oz can low-sodium black beans, drained
4  7-inch wheat or whole-grain tortillas
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 clove of garlic, diced
 2-3 Tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 to 1/2 cup of salsa to taste
**4 Tablespoons shredded low-fat 2% milk Mexican or cheddar cheese.
 
Optional extra ingredients: chopped tomato & chopped pepperoncini's.
 
Directions:
In frying pan add olive oil, garlic, chopped onion & bell pepper. Saute till onion is transparent. Add drained beans, seasonings & salsa and any optional extra ingredients. Stir together until heated, then turn off burner. In a second frying pan well sprayed cooking oil spray on med heat, arrange 1 to 2 tortillas, depending on size of your pan.
 
Serve with additional salsa if desired. If you like avocado or sour cream, go for it.
**Cheese is fairly high calorie & high salt, but if that's not a concern for you, you can certainly add more then 1 tablespoon.**

********
I usually have one black bean quesadilla with a cup of milk, some fruit and maybe
a dark chocolate kiss or two for dessert.
Though I ate my last bean quesadilla today. The rest of this week lunch will be fish!
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories