Good Eating Monday: Stuffed Flank Steak!

 
Greetings!  July is nearly up! First I worked-out this morning at the Y, then worked outside some more when I got home, spreading bags of top soil and some mowing.
 
Today's Good Eating recipe is one I recently tried:
"Stuffed Flank Steak."

I saw it on Pinterest and, turns out, it's absolutely delicious!
It's little bit of trouble to make, but the results are worth it.
The stuffing makes this cut moist and tender.
It's a Family Circle recipe and you can see the full step-by-step directions with pictures at the link below:
 
That being so, I'll just be giving bare-bones directions along with a couple things I did differently along the way. 
 
Stuffed Flank Steak

Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Roast: at 425 degrees F. for 35 minutes
Broil: 10 minutes



Ingredients
1 flank steak (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped (Or use just half of a 16 oz size jar.)
2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt (I substituted minced fresh garlic and sea salt.)
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil


Directions:
Carefully slice flank steak in half along long side edge, but not all the way through, so you can fold it open. (Basically butterfly it.) Flatten if needed to make even. 
(I marinated mine with Italian dressing by coating the steak with dressing, rolling it up and letting it rest to marinade 30 min. prior to stuffing.)


Press excess liquid out of the spinach then put it in a bowl. Add blue cheese & chopped peppers, bread crumbs, egg yolk and 1/2 tsp each of garlic salt and pepper. Mix well.
Spread stuffing mix on open flank steak leaving a inch border all around. Roll up flank steak, pressing ends inside, then truss with twine to secure. (Twine every 2 inches.) Rub with surface lightly with olive oil & sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 tsp garlic salt and pepper.

Bake in 425 degree oven for 35 minutes, then broil 10 minutes t brown nicely. Cool slightly, cut and serve.
********
Since I had the oven on, I sliced sweet potato into thin strips, tossed them with cinnamon & olive oil, then spread them on parchment paper in a pan to bake along with the meat for a side dish.
I also halved and sauteed frozen Brussels I'd thawed with minced garlic to go with the stuffed steak and sweet potatoes.
It was a yummy meal!
*********
Based on experience, I'd pound out the steak a little to flatten it more evenly. Otherwise it tends to split as you roll it up.
 
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: Something I Wasted Time On

Garden Pic Wednesday: My Christmas Bouquets!