Garden Pic Wednesday: Hyacinth & Sedum

The fitness center we currently belong to has something the Y didn't---a steam room. I love steam rooms!
It gives me fond memories of visiting a Turkish Bath in Istanbul while I was stationed in Turkey in 1978. Have you ever been to a real Turkish Bath? This particular one was a centuries old bath in downtown Istanbul. Inside it was a marble cathedral of steam--a huge, circular space with wide floor to ceiling pillars and a high round vaulted ceiling I could barely make-out.The floor was marble, the walls were marble--everything was marble.
I went with 2 other Air Force girls. One, of them, Kathy, was quite the adventurer, always interested in exploring and trying new things and it was she who got us there. 
We paid a fee, received a white towel & washcloth, entered a disrobing area, then walked into the steamy bath itself. A wide, raised dark marble dais occupied the center of the steamy room and low-set marble sinks ringed the walls. Each sink had a little stool beside it. What you did was sit on the stool, use your wash cloth and wash yourself with soap. (It's a bath, after all.) After that, you'd move to the dais and lay down, then one of the fully dressed Turkish women, who worked there, would give you a brisk rub down with a sudsy luffa---and by brisk I mean very brisk!
 But that's one of the benefits of a steam room: it loosens surface dead skin cells and a scrubbing removes them leaving skin silky smooth.
Of course, in the fitness center's steam room here I wear a swim suit, but I carry a spa-mitten with me to scrub down near the end of my 20 minutes. Really great on the knees, elbows and feet.

Today's Pics include the head of a Hyacinth poking up and some Sedum I put along my block wall:

Hyacinth next to Shamrocks.
This particular breed of sedum below, while pretty, is quite aggressive. 
I initially put it in a pot with other succulents, but quickly discovered that was a big mistake!
Since then, I've tucked it into corners of my new block wall where it can spread and drape freely, which is perfect. Easy to propagate, too! Stick a stem of it in dirt anywhere and you get more!
In spring, it blooms a cascade of star-shaped yellow flowers.
(It's nice in a pot, too, as long as it's alone in that pot.)
As you can see it's unfazed by the recent cold temperatures, which killed every other succulent I had except for hen & chick types.
I knew nothing about succulents before this year, but they are educating me quickly. I'm going to pick better replacements.
Sedum
Be sure and stop back by for Mama Kat Thurs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories