Mama Kat Thursday: A Pinterest Recipe Fail

The Mama Kat prompt for today is: "Pinterest inspired! Share a pin you actually tried. How did it go?"

The thing with Pinterest food recipes is they aren't always expert or tested. Sometimes they're a cooking experiment someone thought worked well enough to post on a blog that got pinned.
 I found this photo-pin about Roast Cabbage I thought looked pretty good, so I tried it.
Studying the picture now I realize that cabbage isn't cooked tender all the way through--it's just hot all the way through and that's exactly how mine came out. Which isn't right. The cooking time just wasn't adequate. Perhaps the blogger who devised this recipe didn't know a "done" cabbage ought to be fork tender. Sometimes that happens with people trying out new veggies. She also cooked it with the core left in---something I would never do.
So here's the original recipe followed by things I'd do differently to fix it.
 Roast Cabbage:
  • 1 tsp olive oil 
  • 2 tbsp real bacon bits
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
  • 1 Medium Head of Cabbage
Preheat the oven to 425 or use a grill.
Mix the olive oil, bacon bits, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to make the marinade.
Cut the cabbage into 4 quarters, put in foil, apply marinade and bake in oven 20-30 minutes.

Things I'd do differently to fix it:
#1) Either parboil the cabbage quarters for 10 minutes first or cut into smaller chunks for more tender results.
#2)  Triple the marinade recipe for a more generous application. I might even replace the lemon & olive oil with 1/4 cup Italian dressing. (I'm not a huge lemon fan.) The Worcestershire & bacon bits were the best part.
#3) Increase the cooking time to around 45 minutes, even with prior parboiling or smaller chunks.
#4)  And just a general heads up: when prepping cabbage for any use, always trim out the core.
******
I always add notes on any Pinterest recipe I try, so if you want to follow my Pinterest "Food Ideas" Board go here.
I've collected a number of excellent ones!


Comments

Unknown said…
Mmm, that really does look good. I think I'll have to try it your way. I love your notes on all of the recipes on your board. I'm definitely following you!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party