Good Eating Monday: Hobo Potatoes

Odd fact: hair doesn't turn gray evenly.
Last fall I started getting my hair colored with a non-ammonia color at my local salon to cover this oddity.
  My right side is grayer then the left and I actually have a rather strong skunk stripe on my right front hairline, giving me a rather one-sided Rogue look.
 My hair used to have a red-tone, but in the graying process, the red is the first thing to go as each hair strand takes on a darker ash brown before ultimately turning gray.
So, I selected a natural looking golden brown and found the initial process interesting, since I'd never done it before. I like looking for the various hair swatches close to my natural hair color for what I like best.
 

Today's Good Eating recipe is Hobo Potatoes!
When we grill out, which is a lot in summer, this is my favorite thing to put together!
Hobo Potatoes is just thinly sliced, seasoned potato wrapped in a foil packet and put on the grill.
I prefer red potatoes, so my recipe will reflect that, but use what you prefer. The principle is the same.

Ingredients
*1 red potato per person to be served (about 3 inches in size or so; if small, I'll use 1 1/2  red potato per pack)
*can of oil spray
*1 Tbsp stick butter, lite butter or margarine per pack.
*Salt & Pepper to taste
*1-2 teaspoons fresh, finely snipped Rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon of dried per pack                                  *Heavy Duty Foil
*Optional: sliced onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc

Note: I slice and prepare potatoes for each pack one at a time, since there is only 2 of us; but if you're making a quantity for several people you might wish to prep your potatoes, slice them in quantity and do an an assembly line to put together.

Directions:
Prepare your foil: tear off a suitably sized sheet of heavy duty foil for each pack you plan to make. I stack mine on top of each other and work one at a time. Spray the first sheet of foil

Prepare your potatoes: Slice first red potato for first pack into thin round slices, like picture, slightly less then a quarter inch per slice.
Arrange slices in center of oil sprayed foil roughly in a 6 to 8 inch line thickest pieces first, then others others stacked over those.
(If you put the thicker pieces on the bottom, it will help keep the thin ones from getting burnt.)

Season: Give a shake of salt, pepper and sprinkle with Rosemary.
Take your 1 Tbsp butter/margarine and break it up, dropping chunks over top of potato stack on foil so it's distributed well.

Seal the pack, but not tightly. It's important to leave a little room for steam. Just bring foil edges together and fold down a couple times to seal, but still leave room.

Put on Grill: Do not turn. Potato packs of red potatoes need roughly 20 to 25 minutes on a medium heat to cook through with some getting crispy brown. Brown spud are a bit denser and might need slightly longer. 
******
If the meat entree will need 15 minutes to cook, we'll put our Hobo's on 10 minutes ahead of the meat, so all will be done around the same time. 
I really like my bottom slices crispy brown, but timing varies so sometimes the potatoes will range from cooked through without browning to a few blackened chips. 
So hobo pack cooking isn't an exact science!
****
Eat up, me hearties, yo-ho!

Comments

Lovely idea! will be trying soon on the Kamodo! you have a very nice spot here! I shall return!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects