Mama Kat Thursday: Fired!

Today's Mama Kat blog writing prompt is "Write a blog post inspired by the word: Fired!"

I suppose everyone has been fired from a job at least once in their lives. 
There's no easy way to go through it. It's pretty much a slap in the face.
The first time I was fired was from a job I had right after Hubby and I were married. He was still active-duty in the Air Force then and we were living in an apartment complex in Maryland that just happened to have a Day Care Center right in the center. 
There was another young Air Force wife living in the same apartment complex that I was acquainted with and after she got a job at the Day Care Center, she helped me get one there, too.

Now working in the Day Care business was never my ambition. I had no fondness for small children. Yet, at the time, I was interested in earning a little income and I could walk there, so why not?
So, I got hired at the Day Care.

As a child-care facilities go, it was okay. However the woman who ran the place (and, I think, owned it) had all the personality of sand-paper, though she was quite expert at sweetly kissing-up to all the parents of all the precious little prodigies we cared for. Not to mention her teenage son worked there as well and he was an arrogant piece of work, too.

The owner/manager worked the under 3 tot room in front; I and my friend worked the pre-school/kindergarten age room in the middle; and the teenage son arrived after school to entertain the after-school age kids in the back section.

Here's the thing that got me fired: we had a bulletin board in our room that was supposed to be decorated with seasonal themes.
I had decorated it.
The manager/owner walked in, looked at it, then made a sarcastic remark regarding how the board looked with a little laugh, which I naturally took as a joke. 
I had no idea that her sarcasm was actually meant as a serious communication to say she hated my board decoration and really wanted it completely redone! Her sarcastic remark just didn't equal that!
Needless to say, that manager took great offense in my apparent "disregard" of her directive and I was promptly fired for "disrespect."
 I rushed back to our apartment in tears, both hurt, yet relieved to be free of that job! Child-care definitely wasn't my thing and the people I worked for were detestable, so it was definitely good riddance to bad rubbish!
As a result of that experience, though, I can't stand sarcasm being used for as a cover for real communication. I don't do it and I don't want it done to me.
Fortunately, a few months after that firing, we moved out of the apartment complex and into base-housing, where I ended up getting a wonderful job at the base Arts & Crafts Center, which was much more up my alley! 
*****
So, what's your story?
****
Note: This event occurred in 1983, 32 years ago. I held the Arts & Crafts Center job until 1985, when the Air Force moved us to Florida.

Thanks for visiting!
Want to join the fun! Visit Mama Kat for the rules!

Comments

JBean said…
Awww that is a pretty petty reason to fire someone! That's actually quite terrible! However, I'm glad you saw the silver lining in being released from a place that wasn't a great fit, and getting a new job that suited you so much better! I was never fired but I was laid off 2 years ago from a job I actually hated. It was such a blessing in disguise because I'm now doing something completely different with my life, and that probably never would have happened had I not lost that job!
carol daniels said…
I don't take sarcasm easily either. I have a hard time distinguishing whether or not it is intended or not. The voice in the sarcasm is very confusing to me. A poor way to communicate if you ask me! I would be glad to be rid of that job, too!
okroserock said…
I've been fired a few times in my life. Sometimes it's horrible and sometimes a wonderful opportunity to start again. During my divorce, I had 2 children under the age of 3 and my attitude was so full of rage...I was fired, I deserved it and it served as a huge wake up call to get some help.
kayerj said…
I've never been fired from a job, but then I've only worked outside my home twice in my life and that was for very brief periods. I'm glad you found a job you like better.
KatBouska said…
There's something about leaving ANY job that is definitely a slap in the face, but also a huge relief. Sounds like you were definitely better off away from those ladies!

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Thursday Writers Prompt: Radio Memories

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Crafts!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!