Garden Pic Wednesday: Peek-A-Boo!

My friend, Jacqui, asked me how I manage caring for all my flower beds & garden.  There is always something that needs doing and,  in her case, she has a much larger yard with more extensive landscape she's trying to get established. 
I replied, "I just focus on one project at a time."
Especially in the summer Florida heat. I can't stay out all day like I could in the cool spring. I have to choose particular tasks on days I have allotted for working outside. 
This past Monday, the single outdoor project of the day was hedging & shaping the large gardenia shrub out front. That took about 2 hours and I took a cool down break for 30 minutes somewhere in there.
Today's single outdoor project was re-working a small section  of the back bed by thinning out the native day lilies from other locations and moving them to form a border there.
I worked for about an hour, then went in for lunch. While I was inside, a summer thunderstorm suddenly popped up and poured rain for about 30 minutes. The weather forecast predicted a 20 minute break between rain storms, so as soon as it stopped, I ran back out to finish planting the lilies I'd already dug up.  Despite a little sun, it was thundering and by the time my 20 minutes was up, it was ready to rain again, so I put tools away and got inside just as drops were falling.
Now, two hours later, it's all sunny again. That's Florida gardening.

Today's Garden Pics include a young Canary melon and a recent container garden addition:

"Peek-A-Boo" Melons!
I say thus because young melons blend in among the leaves, making them hard to see. Here's one just visible enough to get a snapshot of!
 Every morning, I'm out searching through the leaves for young forming melons, so I can put a can or something under them.


This is a Canary type melon called, "Amy." The outside turns a bright yellow and the white flesh inside tastes like honey when fully ripe. 

Next: My Newest Container Garden!
I have an over abundance of Gladiolas. Since the ground doesn't freeze in winter, they naturalize and, by that, I mean they prosper and spread readily.
Yet I like them. They make good vase flowers. So I saw a picture in Pinterest of Glads in a container that looked nice, so I decided to replant a number of Glad bulbs here, in the center of this large container.
I put a bamboo stake in the middle, so I can tie them up next spring and planted the bulbs in a circle around it.
Glads die back in winter, so I planted some other things around their circumference: a couple Vinca's, which will bloom still frost, a cutting of Dusty Miller which will stay blue-green all winter, and that gold stuff in front is "Creeping Jenny," which will also stay the same all winter.


Creeping Jenny is a ground cover often used as a "spiller" in containers. I decided I like  it so much, I looked up how to propagate it. It's just a matter of cutting a runner, stripping the leaves off an inch or so, dusting the stem in rooting hormone, thend sticking it in a small pot of soil.
So, I have 3 cuttings going that I'd like to add to my rain 
garden.
****
That's all for today! Come tomorrow for Mama Kat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Prompt Thursday: 5 Comforting Things

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Good Eating Monday: Peach Cobbler Dump Cake!

Mama Kat Thursday: The Halloween's of Yesteryear

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Crafts!