Mama Kat Thursday: The One Good Day

The Mama Kat prompt I'm doing today is,
"Share a Memorable Day at Work."

I worked at a flower shop for many, many years. I was a floral designer (the person who makes the arrangements).
I have to say that I remember more bad days, then good, but there was one really extraordinary day when a lady came into the flower shop on a day I happened to be working,
looking for fresh flowers for wedding reception table arrangements. As Mother-of-the-groom, buying the flowers for this was her contribution to the wedding.
She told me the wedding colors were "teal and brown," and she wanted to know if it was possible to get any "brown colored" flowers?
Well, I can safely tell you there are not many fresh flowers that come naturally actually brown. What's called brown is often a bit more on the light tan-orange side.
Then I had an idea. I remembered we had a chart of Gerbera Daisy colors available from our local flower wholesaler and one of them was a nice true brown!
So, I called our wholesaler rep to confirm for her that she could get the quantity of brown Gerbers she needed, told her the price, set  the date for her to pick-them up and sealed the deal.
(I believe her plan was to put two or three brown Gerbers in short vases on each table with a teal bow.)
She left the shop delighted and I went home that night with a very satisfied feeling of having made someone happy---for once. It was the best wedding flower moment I ever had.
*****
So what was your best day on the job?


Thanks for Visiting!

Comments

May said…
I imagine those did turn out quite attractive and unique. I am crazy for Gerbera daisies. In the future should you need any brown plants, I usually have a few around the house from a failed attempt or two at gardening!
Abby said…
I'd never heard of brown daisies, and I actually googled them after reading this. Perfect! Like May, I have some brown plants around. Certainly not suitable for a wedding.
John Holton said…
The only brown flowers I can think of are dead ones... You did a great job for that lady, and I'm sure she appreciated all the work you did to make it a reality.

John Holton
A to Z Challenge Co-Host
The Sound Of One Hand Typing
DarkB Gaming said…
I googled brown daisies after reading your post. Great work!!

My List Mag
JNoteMusic said…
Wow! How exciting. I never saw a brown flower. So pretty. Good job. The bride and groom were lucky to have you.
Paula Kiger said…
HA! Love that! It reminds me of the book "The Language of Flowers." Well done and glad it contributed to a great day.
KatBouska said…
Well brown is an interesting request for flowers! I love that you made it work for her!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories