Mama Kat Thursday: Kitchen Mistakes!

The Mama Kat blog writing prompt I chose today is, "tell a story about a mistake in the kitchen."


I've made my share.  

Rules to Live By with a Gas Stove:
1)  When boiling water to make ice tea on a gas stove, never add tea bags while the burner is still on. 
The little tea bag tags draping over the side catch fire.

2)  Always check out the smell of something burning. 
My previous gas stove didn't have sealed burners, but had burner plates I kept covered in foil. It wasn't uncommon for bits of spattered something on the foil to occasionally catch fire and burn off quick, so I didn't really think much of brief smells.
I guess one time I accidentally left a small wood-handled cutting knife laying across the iron grid and it fell through, so it was laying across the burner itself, so when I put a pan on (probably to boil water for tea) I didn't notice it.
 I did smell something burning, but, you know, that wasn't terribly abnormal.
The next day, I found a charred knife on the burner and thought, "Huh, that's what that smell was."

3)  When you put on a pan of water on to boil (like for making ice tea), don't forget about it.
I don't know how many times I've remembered it after the water has all boiled away leaving me a nice deposit of lime powder.

Microwaves Incidents:
I had one of these just the other day.
Certain plastic containers often have a foil seal, like frosting containers, and not all that seal peels completely off.
I like to microwave my frosting for 30 seconds before use so it will spread easy and sometimes I forget to make sure every bit of that foil is off.
Result: sparking and flashing in the microwave.

I had a jar of coconut oil that was down to the bottom and I wanted to melt it for use in peanut butter bars. I did check the top. It had bits of paper seal still along the top edge. I didn't realize there was a foil embedded in that paper!
Put the jar in the microwave, hit start button for a 30 sec run and suddenly---sparking and flashing!
I rushed to turn it off and when I opened the door, the inside of my microwave was covered in black soot.
I had to use Dawn to get it off.
But it cleaned up fine, no harm done.

******
What sort of kitchen mistakes have you made?


Thanks for Visiting!
(gifs are from Giphy.)

Comments

John Holton said…
As for always checking anything that smells like it's burning, that also goes for dishwashers. Things like wooden spoons and plastic spatulas have a tendency to get knocked loose and fall on the heating element.

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party

Garden Pic Wednesday: Coneflowers