Garden Pic Wednesday: Funny Mr. Toad

I have a bee-watering station set up in a shady flower bed opposite my front door. It's a plastic tray with two mini-containers of Lantana cuttings and dish of rocks.
I walked out the door yesterday morning and saw this:


A big toad sitting in the dish of rocks!
He blends in nearly perfectly. My first thought was he was cooling off--it's been a blistering sauna outside everyday and no rain.
(I haven't seen any bees using it.)
He's a huge toad and I often see him in the flower beds in the vicinity of my front door. Probably because he can dine easily on the insects the porch light draws at night.

(A couple days ago I accidentally scared him out of his hiding place under Asparagus Fern that hangs over the block wall nearby when I tossed a handful of grass-cuttings under it.

Here's another closer picture:


A different smaller toad has taken up residence in the veggie garden. Toads are great insect hunters, so they're a plus in the garden!

****
June's Strawberry Moon!
I recently learned a full moon in June is called a "Strawberry Moon," originally by the Algonquin tribes because that's when they knew the wild strawberries were ripe and ready for picking!
The Strawberry Moon is notable for being especially bright.

****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party