Mama Kat Thursday: Thanksgiving Tag Questions!

The Mama Kat blog writing prompt I  chose today is answering a series of questions regarding my assorted opinions regarding Thanksgiving, called 
"Thanksgiving Tag Questions." 

1) What is my favorite Thanksgiving side-dish?
During the years of family feast while I was growing-up in Indiana, my favorite side-dishes were Cauliflower with delicious, melted Velveeta Cheese Sauce or Broccoli with Velveeta Cheese Sauce. Velveeta makes anything good.
However, nowadays my favorite side-dish is usually Garlic Sauteed Sweet Potato Strips with Halved Brussels.


2) What is my favorite Thanksgiving dessert?
Definitely Pumpkin Pie. 
My Mother used to make the most delicious pumpkin pies with home-made lard crusts. 
I remember eating cold slices of pie for snacks and even breakfast the next day!  

3)  What does your ideal Thanksgiving outfit look like?
I've never really dressed up for Thanksgiving. As a kid, our Thanksgiving was just immediate family at home and always casual.
This past Thanksgiving we had Thanksgiving dinner at a friends house and everyone was dressed casually.

4)  What is your best Thanksgiving memory?
One of my favorite memories is the
year my middle sister found this stubby, flat piece of water-worn 'driftwood' down at the creek on our property and brought it home to make a centerpiece with it. She and Dad cleaned it up, then he supervised her drilling 3 candle holes in it. I think she applied a coat of varnish, too. That driftwood became our table centerpiece every Thanksgiving and Christmas thereafter.

5)  What is my least favorite Thanksgiving dish?
I like food and I'm usually willing to try just about anything, but I have to say the marshmallow-topped canned yams is not my fav.  
It wasn't standard fare at my house growing up, though I recall one year one of my sisters wanted to try making it, so we had a pan marshmallow canned yams at least once.

6)  Do I have any quirky Thanksgiving traditions?
No, not really.

7)  Where do you usually celebrate Thanksgiving?
Growing up, it was always at home, just the immediate family.
Since I've been grown-up, I've celebrated it lots of places over the years:
* For many years once we moved here to Florida, we ordered a pre-cooked Turkey dinner from the local grocery store that included Turkey, stuffing, green beans, sweet potato casserole & buns and we'd have our Air Force friends come to our house. Eventually, those grocery chains all closed.
* After that, for a change of pace, we once made Thanksgiving Dinner reservations at Cracker Barrel dined there with two of our Air Force friends, since there were so few at the time.
* Then for about 3 or 4 years after that, we met up with our young Air Force friends at the Eglin Air Force Dining Facility for Thanksgiving. They could eat free and we, being retired, could eat for a small cost. The Mess put on a huge affair and have senior officers waiting tables, serving the Airmen. 
* We had the Airmen Center for 5 or 6 years after that and it had a full kitchen, so we held our Thanksgiving dinners there. Usually it was just Stouffers Lasagna & garlic bread, which is easier to serve then Turkey. 
* Then after the Airmen Center closed, one of our friends hosted a pitch-in group gathering for Thanksgiving at her house for 2 or 3 years. 
* Then this year, Hubby and I were invited by a Army couple to join the pitch-in Thanksgiving gathering at their house.

8)  What do you love most about Thanksgiving?
Eating.  I love eating dark meat, whether turkey or chicken. I love a good sage dressing, canned jellied cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. And if it's a pitch-in Thanksgiving, I like sampling other people's dishes.

9) What do I think has changed most since the first Thanksgiving?
The convenience of grocery stores.
Before 1930, acquiring a turkey or goose or chicken or whatever for your table was a greater challenge. In rural areas, you probably had to kill it yourself or have a farmer kill one for you.
 In large urban areas, there'd be butcher-shops.

No frozen turkeys in a freezer.

10)  What are you thankful for?
Really about everything. Health, home, family, freedom & grocery stores.



Comments

John Holton said…
I'll bet Cracker Barrel makes a great Thanksgiving dinner.

Does "casual dress" include "sweatpants"?
KatBouska said…
I'm with you on the marshmallow-topped canned yams...why are those even a thing? And I love the sweet memory of your sister making a centerpiece! I bet that was special for her too. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects