Mama Kat Thursday: Specimens In The Frig

Today's Mama Kat prompt choice is to write a post inspired by the word, "Specimen."


In an episode of Stargate-SG1, when the team is at Jack O'Neill's house investigating why something changed him from 44 to age 15, Teal'c is looking in the refrigerator. He pulls out a plastic container, opens it, peers inside and asks, "Are you conducting a science experiment, O'Neill?"
Underage O'Neill snaps," That salsa is still good!" as he snatches it out of Teal'c's hands and puts in back in the frig.

Let's face it, we've all had random "science experiments" appear in our refrigerators at one time or another---some forgotten leftover shoved to the back that we suddenly "find" and discover is covered in green fuzz.


I've had my share of science specimens:
 Fuzzy forgotten leftovers are a classic. 

Cheese gets blue mold spots.
Though with cheese, if there's just a couple spots, you can cut them off and still use the rest of the cheese. They're harmless.

Cucumbers are the worst.
They turn into a zip-lock bag 
of green slime!

That last serving of cottage cheese I thought I'd get to, but didn't---the smell says its bad long before anything grows.

Limes forgotten in the drawer.
Their skins turn brown and their insides turn yellowish. 

Sour milk, of course, happens--but usually just to whatever got left in the jug while we were on vacation.
It's good for baking quick breads and muffins with, though.

Sweet Potatoes forgotten in the refrigerator drawer grow mold spots because it's moist in there.
 I've learned to store them in a basket on the counter instead. I've had to throw a few of those "specimens" away because I forgot too long and the mold got all through one.

Bread turning blue-green in the bag.
For me, that's usually only a problem during the off seasons when the A/C isn't on yet.
******
There's a related grade-school joke that goes like this:
QuestionHow do you know the sour cream has gone bad?
AnswerIt's wearing a mask and carrying a machine gun.
Ha, ha, ha.


Thanks for Visiting!
(The photo is from Pixabay; not my frig.)

Comments

KatBouska said…
Oh my gosh, I just tossed a lovely specimen of aged meatloaf that I definitely could have photographed for you to use with this post! ;)
John Holton said…
"Now it's time to play... WHAT WAS THIS?"
I've not only had this kind of science experiment in my fridge, but I've also enjoyed (hah!) having such things as a dissected perch and a dissected cow's eye that my son brought home from school....

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!