Garden Pic Wednesday: Mossy Lava Rock

Once upon at time I bought a couple bags of red lava rock for landscaping use. It's red pumice and readily available by the bag in most big box store garden centers.
Over time I noticed moss liked growing on lava rocks located in shady areas---particularly on the north side of the house.
 Then I figured out I could pick up a moss covered lava rock and move it to a shady teacup with succulents or other container and the moss would continue growing and spreading.
In general, moss thrives in deep shade, but it also likes dappled sunlight. In nature, it prefers the North side of a tree or rock.
Today's Wednesday Pic is a couple extremely pretty mossy lava rocks in a novelty container in my front garden. 
Moss blooms, then makes seed pods. Those little green things are seed pods or  maybe spore pods. I don't think I've ever had a close look at them before taking this picture.
There's 3 rocks in this container 2 years ago; just one had moss already when I put it there. Now it's spread and thrived as you can see.
This container enjoys a bit of Eastern sunlight in the mornings, but is shaded the rest of the day. Fun.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories