Garden Pic Wednesday: Lavender Calla Lily!

I was pleased last shopping trip to the base Commissary to finally buy some yeast. I bought a jar this time.
I have a mini-seed nursery going on in a tray outside, sprouting full size Marigolds, Shasta Daisies & Hardy Hibiscus.
The a good number of the Marigolds were ready to be transplanted, so I moved them various places yesterday. 
Easter lilies are done, so I clicked stems back out by the front bed and realized that small area needed some adjusting, so I moved this and that around, planting more native daylilies and Vinca and Ajuga that will all do well in shade/morning sun.
One thing I moved was a single Hot Poker lily I still have that wasn't thriving there, so I moved it to a very sunny location in back.
The Shasta Daisies & Hardy Hibiscus remain in the "nursery," being too young to transplant.

Today's photo is a first Calla Lily bloom:
I've struggled with Callas, trying to get them to perform well. They didn't do well in the ground and where I had them was too shady.
They like a lot of sun and rich soil, so I moved all the old roots I could find and a new Calla into their own pot inside my large container garden out front. Finally, they are doing well. I haven't seen the lavender Calla bloom in years, so it was exciting to see it!
The color part isn't the actual flower, but the actual flower is the long proboscis inside the color part.





I've also been enjoying making vase arrangements:
This one includes Hydrangea's, a Gladiola & the blue thistles are Sea Holly.  I have two Hydrangea's that bloom well: a blue & a pink. I enjoying making arrangements with the blooms because I remember how much they used cost per stem when I was a florist and now I get to enjoy all I want for free!
(I set it on the bathroom counter to take the photo because the skylight provided the best light. :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories