Garden Pic Wednesday: Bloomin' Thyme

Today, I had some things I'd been rooting to plant today. It was over-cast outside, so not overly hot. 
Things planted include 7 baby Hardy Hibiscus grown from saved seed, 1 Purslane root from a stem I pinched off a neighbors plant I passed while walking (the stuff roots super easily) and about 6 or 7 yellow Coreopsis roots I plucked up from along the roadway with my weed tool and had in a bucket of water. They'd clearly been spreading themselves far and wide.
Also planted more beet seeds and some new Spinach seeds I purchased, since the ones I had were too old.

Today's highlight garden pictures include a nice close shot of Thyme Blooms and also a photo of a baby Praying Mantis I spotted on one of my Sunflowers yesterday.
From afar they look white, but up close you see they're actually see the buds start pink.




Baby Praying Mantis
These are a rarity, so I'm always thrilled to see one! He was so tiny--only about an inch in size. This is where he was yesterday afternoon and was still right in this spot this morning, so I caught him and moved him, since this sunflower is right next to the bird feeder and birds love Mantis-snacks. 
I put him on the big Hibiscus out front, since it's leaves seem to be attracting a veritable smorgasbord of flies, gnats and other tiny flying things perfect for his dining pleasure. Not just his either. Several Lady Bugs are trolling around on it and I'm pretty sure I glimpsed an Assassin Bug nymph as well a couple days ago.
Praying Mantis, Lady Bugs & Assassin bugs are all beneficial garden insects because they eat other insects.
I didn't realize my Hardy Hibiscus was such a popular restaurant!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!