Mama Kat Thursday: Something Beautiful

The Mama Kat prompt today is to share "the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

I can't remember where we were or where we were going, but I do remember we were in our station wagon on the interstate crossing a bridge over a river. It was a very long bridge, being this was the Mississippi River.
I recall peering out the window, and we had a clear view of the turbulent river water below the bridge. It had just finished raining. The road was wet, the sky partially clearing and a bit of sunshine had come out. We could see thick mist clouds hanging above the water slightly below the bridge and coming out of one of those clouds was a rainbow that curved downward toward the water below, it's lower portion vanishing among the mists.
It was awesome.
All rainbows are amazing, but this one sticks in my memory as particularly pretty. 
(Didn't have a camera on me as a kid 45 years ago, so this attached photo just represents the idea.)

I don't know why the river was misty and turbulent below the bridge. I asked my Mother today when I called. I wasn't sure if she'd remember, since her recall is hit and miss nowadays---but she did remember that rainbow. She remarked it was the, "most beautiful rainbow."
I asked if she remembered where that was and she it was the bridge at "La Cross." We were on our way to Minnesota from Wisconsin and I think that may have been the year we visited Baraboo, Wisconsin first.
 I looked up the bridge on Google Earth. It didn't look anything like I recall, but the bridge crossing I recall was some 48 years earlier and the current bridge at La Cross is new, the Mississippi reshaped.
But the photo in my mind will last forever.


Comments

John Holton said…
Which Interstate were you on, 90 or 94? Both cross the Mississippi...
That sounds so pretty! If you were traveling to MN, it likely was the Mississippi...the bridges that cross it tend to be long since it's so wide.

Kim
Abby said…
Sounds like a beautiful scene!

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Legend of the Paddling Machine