Mama Kat Thursday: Throwback Thursday!

The Mama Kat prompt today is revisit a blog post from June last year and talk about that:

This time last year, I won a "Night Blooming Jasmine" shrub for a door-prize at a Gardening talk I attended at the city Community Center. 
Here's where I planted it. It was a lovely little topiary shrub that blooms white flowers at night that feeds moths and other night feeders.
But come winter and hard freezes killed it.




I didn't give up though.
In my experience, shrubs and trees generally sprout new growth from the same root. 
So, come spring, I hoped my Night Blooming Jasmine would sprout a new stem.
It did.

Here it is today:
It's about 3 feet tall now and preparing to bloom.
 I wasn't sure what to do with it exactly. The previous plant had been trained into topiary form, but I didn't know what it's natural growth pattern was like. Topiary training can be challenging if it's a really branchy sort of shrub.
Turns out, it just put up one sturdy stem and seems to lend itself naturally to being trained into topiary shape.
I just recently striped the leaves off the base stem up to just below where I want the branches to group at the top.

It might be hardier come winter perhaps, since it's well-established now and not a new planting. But, just in case, I'll be sure to cover it ahead of any hard frosts.
We had 3 hard freezes last winter---enough to burn all the leaves off one of my blueberry bushes, so it didn't fruit this year---and that doesn't usually happen! 







Comments

John Holton said…
It takes a lot of patience and time to make some plants grow nicely and do hat you want them to do. It's not something I was ever good at, but it looks like you're doing all right there.
Abby said…
Ooh, your first paragraph had me bummed. And then... happy! Such a roller coaster ride ;). I hope we see it again next year!
I love the idea of night-blooming plants. Plus, it's so nice to walk out and smell the different fragrance in the air.

Kim
Patty said…
Our past winter season was anything but and definitely confused a lot of our plants with up and down temperatures. Some sprouted early, only to be hit with a random snowfall and deep freeze. When spring finally arrived, most emerged with an almost cautious look on their leaves. In fact, my Hydrangea isn't showing any sign of producing even one bloom this year.

It's great to learn something new about plants and your Jasmine sounds magical. I may have to investigate at a local nursery here to see if they have any.

Stay safe!
KatBouska said…
Wow, it came back! I didn't know that about roots re-sprouting new plants. So interesting!

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!