Good Eating Tuesday: Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast

 I tried this recipe this week. Frankly, a good chuck roast generally comes out pretty tender in a slow cooker regardless of how you season it.
This recipe calls for Pepperoncini Peppers, which are mildly spicy. They do give the roast a tad of spiciness. I actually forgot the dry Ranch dressing when I made it and just used the onion soup mix.
It also calls for one stick of butter just put in there with the roast. A whole stick. I've decided it's a real waste of expensive butter to use a whole stick. 
Also Hubby isn't keen on the spicy after-taste the Pepperoncini's gave the meat.

So, if you like slightly spicy, fairly buttery flavored pot roast, you might like the recipe 
I did get use out of the that pot roast: I used it for 3 other meals: hash, ginger beef & cabbage & a cabbage beef stir fry over noodles. 

One thing I notice about Word Press Blogs that I go to from Pinterest for recipe details, just inundate me with pop-up videos and banner ads that I have to close to get out of the way. Plus the recipe details are always at the bottom, so I have to scroll all the way through a long, overly wordy post just to reach the recipe.
Here on my blog, you can get right to the recipe.


Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast

Ingredients:
1 chuck roast
2 Tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper for searing
1 packet dry Ranch dressing
1 packet dry Onion Soup mix
1 stick of unsalted butter (= 1/2 cup)
8 Pepperoncini peppers
(to make spicier, add 1/4 cup Pepperoncini juice from jar.)


Directions:
Prep your slow cooker with either a liner or by spraying with oil spray and turn on LOW.

Heat a skillet on high heat, so it's really hot so you can sear the meat quickly. Then add oil. Sear the meat on all sides in olive oil, salt & peppering to taste. 
This is important because it seals the juices in and also give the outside a nice color.

Now transfer meat to slow cooker, top with dry Ranch, Onion Soup, then stick of butter, then arrange peppers around top of roast.

Cook on Low 8 hours.
Serve as desired.
******

(I cooked mine on High 2 hours, then on Low 4 hours, since I needed it done in 6 hours and that worked quite well. I also cut 6 gold potatoes in half and cooked them along with it.)

I kept mine whole, lifting it out in pieces, then we ate some with supper with potatoes, then had other pieces for 3 other meals, since it's just 2 of us.
Some people may prefer to eat it all at once shredded Italian beef style on sandwiches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Mama Kat Prompt Day: Childhood Memories