Good Eating Tuesday: Delicious Autumn Chopped Salad!

 I'm sort of picky about salad. I'm not always in the mood for something cold and I don't care for sour tasting dressings. I also like a bite-size chop on the greens and the grape tomatoes sliced; not whole.
So, looking for a new salad option, I ran across this Autumn Salad on Pinterest. It's got apple, pear, dried cranberries, pecans & feta! And it includes a very easy and yummy home-made creamy Poppy seed dressing!
It's a pretty salad as well. The feta makes a good contrast to the sweet of the fruit, cranberries and dressing. I think it'd be good with Blue Cheese also.
I did alter the original Pinterest recipe by adding red onion & julienned carrots. I like a colorful salad.
Note: though recipe calls for Romaine, you can use any type of lettuce you prefer, except for iceburg. Also mix in chopped baby spinach leaves.

It's my go-to salad now and I've found the Poppy seed dressing delicious on Raisin & Apple Slaw, too!
(Photo is my own)



Autumn Chopped Salad:
Ingredients:
4 cups Romaine Lettuce, chopped into bite size. (or any lettuce type you prefer)
1 fresh pear, cored & sliced into bite-sized
1 fresh red apple, cored and sliced into bite-sized (such as Gala, Jonathan, Fugi, Pink Lady, etc.)
1/2 cup pre-cut packaged julienned carrots
1/2 medium red onion, lightly chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup Feta

Creamy Poppy seed Dressing:
1/3 cup Mayo 
1/4 cup 2% milk
3 Tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 - 2 teaspoons Poppy seeds

Directions:
In a large bowl combine the lettuce, carrots, pear, apple, cranberries, pecans & feta and toss together.

To make dressing: add mayo & sugar to a small bowl, then gradually add small amounts of milk, whisking after each addition until all milk is added and dressing has a smooth consistency.
(If you just dump the mayo & milk together it's lumpy and more difficult to smooth out.)
Now whisk in cider vinegar & Poppy seeds.
Add desired amount to salad & toss. 
*****
I used all Romaine the first time, then the next time I used a combo of Red Leaf & Butterhead, so you can mix it up. You can even add in a little fresh baby spinach---just be sure to chop it up bite-size.
Romaine has the highest fiber of the lettuces, by the way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Writer's Workshop Prompt: Greatest Triumph

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Garden Pic Wednesday: Thriving Rose Bush!

Mama Kat Thursday: Two Before & After Projects

The Imaginary Party Outfit for the Imaginary Party