Garden Pic Wednesday: Winter Marigolds


The Garden Pic today is a nice shot of Dwarf Marigolds.
These along the walkway to the front door under the kitchen bay window. The are a cheery sight as a walk past.


 
This is my 2nd Christmas without Dave. He died before Christmas last year, but I was so numb, I really didn't process the season much. A friend stayed with me until about the 
Stargate SG-1. I have all 10 seasons, so that lasted until February sometime.

This year I processed the Christmas season emotionally more so. I decorated like I did last year, putting out my holiday penguin collection and wreaths with battery lights on the outside windows. I'd like to find like a tabletop tree of about 20 inches in height---but maybe I will look into that more next year.
What I did arrive at is that I needed to formulate for myself some new "holiday traditions."
Besides the decor.
I realized, being a widow alone without children and no close family nearby, that when it comes to receiving Christmas greetings from afar, by prefer receiving cards with either printed newsletter inside or a pre-printed note or hand-written note included.
 If you know a widow, do them the kindness of sending a card with a note.

On new traditions for myself I've so far decided:
Try to make sure I have new slippers to wear on Christmas morning. 
(I bought some back in Nov, a couple pair because I wear them all the time in the house and go thru 2 or 3 pair a year. I like washable type---nothing with fur inside.)
To make sure the week of Christmas to purchase a bag of Christmas themed coffee.
 Publix grocery used to have a Christmas coffee I loved, but they don't seem to carry that brand anymore, but I did find "Arctic Peppermint" Dunkin' Donuts coffee at Walmart. I especially love Peppermint Coffee, which is only available this time of year and I was lucky to snag the last bag that was only $2.70. What a deal!
To try to make sure I have, if possible, a plan to do something with other people on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.
This year, one of the Bible Study guys is having a Christmas Eve dinner at his house. His family from Kansas are here and we are all invited to join in. It's a pitch-in, though he's making roast duck. Last year, friends had me over for one of those days.
A sister lives in Gainesville and I'm invited to join family at her house the day after Christmas, so I have that to look forward to.
Plan a good meal for myself in the days before Christmas, so I can have plenty of tasty leftovers.
Tomorrow I'm slow-cooking beef stew & baking a small batch of cornbread for dinner Thurs and leftovers for Christmas Day. 

I'm sure I'll think of more things as years go on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: May Flowers!