Mama Kat Thursday: Famous People I've Met

"What famous people have I met?" is the Mama Kat prompt question of the day.

      Actually, I've met a few. The most well-known famous Hollywood person I've met is George Takei, who played Mr. Sulu on the Original Star Trek series and a few subsequent films.
       It was 1989, the year Star Trek V came out. There was a Trek Convention in Tampa. I happened to be in a local Star Trek Club at the time and one of the members knew someone who knew someone willing to let us bunk at their home for the Con weekend. So 4 of us packed up our Trek costumes and we drove down.
       I was 33 at the time and the Trek Club was run by a  guy and his wife who lived in Eglin Base Housing. My husband and I also lived in the same Base Housing, a few blocks away. We joined the Club together. Since I could sew, I ended up making several original series shirts for club members. I wore a gold shirt with the emblem, like pictured, with black pants and boots. Pretty authentic looking.                                                                                                           
     In those days Trek Conventions were popular, but smaller affairs. Only two "famous" people were scheduled for Saturday that I recall: Mr. Takei and also the guy wrote the book version of Star Trek V.
We attended Mr. Takei's talk about his experiences making Star Trek V, then afterwards, he was happily willing to sign autographs and pose for a personal camera photos. Free.         
He was seated at a table and I sat next to him, in my Trek costume, had him sign that Star Trek V book I'd bought, then we posed together for a snapshot. My Club-mate used my camera to take the picture. George put his arm around my shoulders and I put my arm around his back and we smiled for the camera. He had his other hand up in a Vulcan hand greeting.
That picture hangs on my wall.
     One thing I can say about Mr. Takei is he genuinely loves his fans. 

     The other famous people I've met are famous only in certain circles, since they are Christian bands:
     One was Rachel, Rachel, an all girl Christian rock band from the early 90's. Actually they were the first Christian all girl band. I have their autographed photo hanging on the wall as well right next to George Takei. They disbanded around 1994.

      The other slightly more famous Christian band I met in person was Bride. Didn't get an photos with them, though. My husband and I and a friend drove up to their concert in the early 90's. They were performing in a large church in Birmingham, Alabama, I think, and we got to talk to the band founders, Dale & Troy Thompson. They were young then, around 30ish, with amazing long hair. One of the things I remember most is Dale saying how important it is to pray for members of Christian bands everywhere.
     They formed their band in the mid-80's when Christian metal hair bands were all the rage. Interestingly, Bride is still in business, though they play Bluegrass/Southern Gospel now. I recall Dale Thompson said he was a youth pastor. He also has a notable vocal range. Here's a video of them performing one of their best known songs, "Hired Gun" from the early 90's. (Dale is singing)



Comments

John Holton said…
Sounds like you've had some interesting encounters!

Popular posts from this blog

Writers Prompt Thursday: Cosplay Dress Up

Garden Pic Wednesday: Amaryllis & Chinese Stonecrop

Good Eating Monday: Old Fashioned Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding!

Mama Kat Thursday: Backwoods Indiana Memories: Laundry Day

Mama Kat Thursday: Worst Gift Ever